New to puppy raw feeding?

Zombiefallout

Mar 4, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I've fed my older labs raw for the last 2 years, but now I have a new puppy. Henry is almost 13 weeks and I have him switched to Darwins raw like my two girls. So far I have been feeding him the turkey exclusively. There are lots of options from Darwins but I'm unsure of whether I should start him on the others, bison, beef, chicken, duck?? He has only been full time raw for 7 days. Should I keep in on the turkey or start introducing one of the other meats? Any help would be much appreciated 😊

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'm no expert, Lola is on a commercially available raw diet and we only give her one protein due to her allergies. I think once the puppy is accustomed to one protein (meaning hard poops, no allergies), then you can introduce another. In the world of kibble, we wait 1-2 months before deciding whether to switch to a different food or not. I'm not sure whether you should do organs before a second protein though, again I feed raw commercial which has everything already in it. More will be along to give better info. Is there any information on the darwin website that suggests that you can interchange the proteins at will (normally you can do this with raw anyways). It's just hard to see what the dog's reaction will be if too many things are introduced at once, without a baseline of what 'normal' is.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm not familiar with Darwins, but since pups are not really accustomed to anything yet, you can introduce new things more quickly than with adult dogs.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
The great thing about raw is that it has simple ingredients. I haven't tried Darwin formulation. I feed grocery store meat. The traditional advice to starting dogs on raw is kinda the same as starting a new skin-baby on solid foods. Start with one food, give it a few days even a week to see if he reacts negatively to the food. If all seems normal, introduce another kind of food and give it a few days or even a week... and so on and so forth. Because of the simple ingredients in raw, any negative reaction to the food will be easier to pinpoint and eliminate.

Good luck!

OP
Zombiefallout

Zombiefallout

Mar 4, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Thanks...Darwins is commercial but it ships it to your home directly from their manufacturing plant. It is a balanced diet frozen in patties like instinct except that everything is made on site and you have option for human grade or all organic. I'm going to try chicken next. His stool is very solid and he doesn't seem to be reacting bad in any way other than nonstop growth lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online