No poop on raw

LifeWithLulu

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princes Lulu (RIP 4/2/14) & Lucinda Mahoney aka Lucy
My Lucy was having a lot of allergies and I decided to give raw feeding a try. It's day 3 and she hasn't pooped since last night. Is that normal? I am feeding her 1/2 lb of ground beef, 1 boiled egg, 1 cup of rice twice a day with a multivitamin.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't feed raw, but I would say she should go tomorrow for sure. Make sure she is drinking plenty of water too.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is this cooked or raw fed? It's pretty common when feeding either they poop a lot less. It could also be the rice as that helps bind the poop (see bland diet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
My Lucy was having a lot of allergies and I decided to give raw feeding a try. It's day 3 and she hasn't pooped since last night. Is that normal? I am feeding her 1/2 lb of ground beef, 1 boiled egg, 1 cup of rice twice a day with a multivitamin.

We feed raw, but commercial raw. I don't think you can just feed ground beed. It needs to have the bone and organs ground into it as well as come vegetation. The offal is super important and the rice is not necessary. If you do not want to do commercial raw like Stella and Chewys or Natures Variety raw patties, then there are lots of raw recipes on the internet. The rice and egg might actually be causing the constipation. Try a little canned pumpkin. That should regulate her. Good luck!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have moved this thread to the raw feeding section so it may get more attention from raw feeders.

It is normal for a dog to poop less when feeding raw and I wouldn't be worried yet. What are your plans about how you're going to continue from this. What else are you going to feed except beef? Cooked rice and egg are not part of normal raw feeding so are you going to go more the home cooked -route?

OP
L

LifeWithLulu

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princes Lulu (RIP 4/2/14) & Lucinda Mahoney aka Lucy
I am trying to introduce new foods one at a time just in case she has any reactions. I added peas and carrots to her ground beef. I have not added bone because I have read it constipates and I am also terrified that she will choke on a piece of bone (sorry I am a new EB mommy). I was thinking of feeding a combination of grain free kibble in the morning and then raw in the evening which is when I have time to be there to watch her and clean up. She finally had a normal poop this morning. I am open to any suggestions on the raw feeding.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
If you're planning to feed raw without bone, I suggest you to read dogaware.com and their advice on boneless raw feeding.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I agree with above just add some canned pumpkin, and eventually you do wanna add some organ meat.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)

If you're going to feed her raw - it all has to be raw. no boiled eggs, no rice. Their digestive systems process raw and cooked very differently. Raw is processed quickly - in and out - which is necessarily due to bacterias. Cooked food takes a bit longer...that's why its best to not mix the two. Now if you want to give her raw beef that's fine - but you need to add bone powder (about one teaspoon per pound - which will produce firm stools) as well as some ground vegetables and some type of organ. You decide if you want to do 80% raw and 20% vegetables or 90% raw and 10% veg. You weigh the meat and veg accordingly.

As for the constipation, changing to raw will have that effect but also the rice is likely stuffing her up.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I agree with @mackrob You can not feed kibble and raw meat. You also can not just feed ground meat. The meals should a variety of different proteins every other day and be 80% muscle meat, 10% organ and 10% bone. You can always grind up bone or chop it up very small. Canned pumpkin is a good way of getting some fiber in him. Too much and his poop will be loose. Too much bone and it will be hard ( but small). How are you doing with it by the way? I see your initial post was from about a month ago.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Well in my experience 10% bone will never be too much and lead to constipation. My boys get around 20+% bone and they're fine. I also have started cooking some porridge made out of buckwheat, millet and quinoa and mix it with their meat. It's cooked and no indigestion problems. Voitto can't handle any veggies, he will regurgitate after every meal with veggies, even steamed, frozen and pureed. So my concoction for them has about 50% ground meaty bones (50/50 bone/meat), 10-15% tripe, 10% porridge(or veggies for Usko) and 25-30% different meats. Eggs once or twice a week. Twice a week they get a meal with bo bone. Usko get just meat and Voitto gets organs. I also use different oils and joint supplements.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
rice does constipate and grains in general are unneeded for dogs. try to give him/her some raw liver, it usually does loosen the stool in many dogs. When there are dramatic changes in a diet, the body does need time to adjust.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.