Commercial Raw vs Homemade Raw Food

devlishangelinca

May 23, 2013
Sacramento, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Thank you for the responses. I kept seeing the honest kitchen and folks have given it high marks. I ordered the whitefish, veggie and fruit starter kit. We are going to do raw in the morning and his Fromm kibble at night to see how that goes. I will let you know how the trail run goes.

Also, look into The Honest Kitchen... They have gluten/grain free and you add the protein of your choice

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene I know most people here don't transition, they just replace kibble with raw.
I did that with Blue and he had a horrible reaction. Would throw up on and off for the first week or two (can't remember now).

Hoping it goes smoothly for Roxie.

Let us know if it's helps..

She's doing great on it, and yeah I didn't transition her at all from the kibble… my bad!!! She was vomiting the other stuff, so we went to bland and then raw with NO issues. I don't think they offer Stella & Chewy here, I just went on dog food advisor for the recommendations for Nature's Instinct.

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
Yes, my dog loves it, but his tear stains have gotten awful from the food. He's been on it for about 4 months, started with chicken. For the last month he's been on the beef patties, and still has heavy stains.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Yes, my dog loves it, but his tear stains have gotten awful from the food. He's been on it for about 4 months, started with chicken. For the last month he's been on the beef patties, and still has heavy stains.
well I think it's great that you are feeding raw. often though it takes some time to find the right protein that works best with your bully. Lola is allergic to chicken turkey beef and venison. sigh. gets very expensive. in Toronto we fed boar and bison. now we're on duck since moving to the states where the Canadian supplier isn't available, sadly.

how long between changing proteins have you waited? it can take several weeks, like 6 , to get the old food out of the system. and the organs you feed must also not be from the suspected animal. if you've waited long enough, it might be time to try another protein.

also if you feed the appropriate balance of meat and organs and bone, veggies are not necessary. and that may also be a source of allergies/tear stains.

also you can think about filtering the tap water or switching to stainless steel bowls.

sent from my droid mini

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
Thanks for all the suggestions. He did well with beef in kibble form. Are heavy yeast and tear stained faces signs that he is allergic to the protein?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Thanks for all the suggestions. He did well with beef in kibble form. Are heavy yeast and tear stained faces signs that he is allergic to the protein?
it means he is allergic to something, but it is not necessarily the protein. Could be something in the tap water, the environment, any veggies you are feeding, dust mites, etc. But the elimination approach is the easiest/cheapest way to identify the allergen. Lola has environmental allergies as well as food. So its hard to have her symptom free without some medical intervention. She's on a low dose of steroid/antiinflammatory. Try to keep the tear stains dry with some dry kleenex several times a day. I do this with Lola even if there are no 'stains' there.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online