Commercial Raw vs Homemade Raw Food

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can also raise your own food source. Just throwing it out there for the ones who are open to Urban Farming. It can get you super super cheap and very healthy.

You can raise rabbits, quail, and tilapia very easily in a residential neighborhood in most counties of the USA which you can use as your raw "base".

SHE'S BACK!! how are you ?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
SHE'S BACK!! how are you ?

Miss you all! I went through the wash and dry cycles and came out the other side in one piece... I'll post pix when I get a chance.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Welcome Back, Anatess! I was still new here when you left, but I remember your posts well. I learned a lot from them.
Great to see you back.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
YESSSS! it has been a loooong while! How are things at home?

Very tough. I'm going to get creamed for saying this... but the only way that worked for us was to make the dogs outdoor dogs. Yes, please don't make your English Bulldogs outdoor dogs. It is not good for them...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Very tough. I'm going to get creamed for saying this... but the only way that worked for us was to make the dogs outdoor dogs. Yes, please don't make your English Bulldogs outdoor dogs. It is not good for them...

So sorry.... Are you able to keep them cool? Did you build them an air conditioned doggie house?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
So sorry.... Are you able to keep them cool? Did you build them an air conditioned doggie house?

We are in the process of building a doggie condo... at the moment, they are in our tile patio where we have a freezer that used to hold their dog food propped open. I have to say, they've been happy to get the run of the yard all day long. Bullie - the lazy bum - has become active. She lost weight and is now fairly muscular. Interestingly, they prefer to lay in their dug up dirt under the giant evergreen tree in the backyard than in their doggie beds by the freezer. Our biggest problem is keeping the bichon frise clean. The bullys stay fairly clean (one big advantage of raw fed dogs!) but keeping the bichon white and mat free is a losing battle - we ended up chopping all his hair off.

My son only had 2 hospital trips this year and he still gets to see us play with the dogs through the glass, so it's been a good compromise, I think. He is very relieved that we decided to keep the dogs. But, we shall see how long we can keep this situation up.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We are in the process of building a doggie condo... at the moment, they are in our tile patio where we have a freezer that used to hold their dog food propped open. I have to say, they've been happy to get the run of the yard all day long. Bullie - the lazy bum - has become active. She lost weight and is now fairly muscular. Interestingly, they prefer to lay in their dug up dirt under the giant evergreen tree in the backyard than in their doggie beds by the freezer. Our biggest problem is keeping the bichon frise clean. The bullys stay fairly clean (one big advantage of raw fed dogs!) but keeping the bichon white and mat free is a losing battle - we ended up chopping all his hair off.

My son only had 2 hospital trips this year and he still gets to see us play with the dogs through the glass, so it's been a good compromise, I think. He is very relieved that we decided to keep the dogs. But, we shall see how long we can keep this situation up.

Can't believe Bullie actually lost weight... too funny how things sometimes turn out better than planned. best of luck, so glad to hear your son is doing well too and there is for now a good compromise.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)

So happy you found a solution! Hope everything works out well for your son and no more hospital trips!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am seriously researching a raw diet for Boris. He is allergic to beef, chicken, pork and gluten. I am a bit overwhelmed and was wondering who sells the best raw for my baby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Do you have a local butcher?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am seriously researching a raw diet for Boris. He is allergic to beef, chicken, pork and gluten. I am a bit overwhelmed and was wondering who sells the best raw for my baby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also, look into The Honest Kitchen... They have gluten/grain free and you add the protein of your choice

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I started a "raw" diet for my boxer because she's having health issues… since time is an issue for me, I got Nature's Instinct Raw Patties (freezer section in pet stores). Super convenient, and they offer a variety of proteins including rabbit, lamb, etc...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I know most people here don't transition, they just replace kibble with raw.
I did that with Blue and he had a horrible reaction. Would throw up on and off for the first week or two (can't remember now).

Hoping it goes smoothly for Roxie.

Let us know if it's helps..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I am seriously researching a raw diet for Boris. He is allergic to beef, chicken, pork and gluten. I am a bit overwhelmed and was wondering who sells the best raw for my baby. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

My favorite commercial raw is Stella&Chewy's and that's what I fed Blue.
It's made in the US, the meat they use is human grade and they can email a list where all their proteins are sourced from (nothing comes from China or Asia)
Their fruits and veggies are also organic.

So human grade meat, with organic fruits and veggies that's made locally, and you know exactly where the ingredients come from.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.