Commercial Raw vs Homemade Raw Food

louisv

Aug 6, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Louis V and Valentino
Can anyone tell me the difference (besides price) of buying commercial raw or making it myself? I am looking at Stella and Chewy or Darwins or any other brand that comes highly recommended. Not sure I really understand the raw process enough to do it on my own but will research more if there is a benefit besides cheaper... Please help, it is all so confusing.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Commercial raw has everything a dog needs. It has been prepared so that all nutrients are in it and you don't have to feed anything else. If you do it yourself you have to find out yourself what is needed and then buy it all, in some cases you can't get it from one place.

When starting to feed raw that you make yourself my advice is to buy a book and study that one way of raw feeding. If you deside only to ask from other raw feeders in the beginning you will find out that there is quite a lot of ways to do it and that can be confusing too.

OP
louisv

louisv

Aug 6, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Louis V and Valentino
Thank you, very good advise about the book. I even you tubed raw recipes and came away more confused than ever. Leaning towards raw commercial so i can make sure the little guys get everything they need.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
RiiSi prettu much answered your question.

It is a big difference in price though. It really isnt that difficult to do it yourself just do a little research online and if you have any specific questions ask here.

Last edited by a moderator:

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
I used Darwin's for years with my dog Mack - but switched to making it myself. However, they are a great company. Right now I just got a little bulldog puppy and I'm feeding him Stella and Chewy's. But if the price agrees with you -- Darwin's is a really convenient option and one of the best raw companies out there.

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
I feed raw and spent about 6 months (daily) researching before I felt confident enough to try it when we brought our 8 week old home. Then I second guessed myself everyday for 2 months once we started and my husband would come home from work everyday with another person's "concerns".
I researched and researched, but the reality is that living in the SF Bay Area, I don't have any hunters to buy meat cheaply from, and the butchers charge a fortune for organs (and other items that are cheap throwaways in other parts of the country). It takes a lot of time to simply search out great prices on items, and then prep each item (break down chicken, remove skin, etc...). So in addition to getting comfortable with quantities and what exactly to feed, if you decide at some point to go raw that you prepare yourself, spend some time making sure you have items readily available that you can afford! :).

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I feed raw and spent about 6 months (daily) researching before I felt confident enough to try it when we brought our 8 week old home. Then I second guessed myself everyday for 2 months once we started and my husband would come home from work everyday with another person's "concerns".
I researched and researched, but the reality is that living in the SF Bay Area, I don't have any hunters to buy meat cheaply from, and the butchers charge a fortune for organs (and other items that are cheap throwaways in other parts of the country). It takes a lot of time to simply search out great prices on items, and then prep each item (break down chicken, remove skin, etc...). So in addition to getting comfortable with quantities and what exactly to feed, if you decide at some point to go raw that you prepare yourself, spend some time making sure you have items readily available that you can afford! :).

If you are in the SF Bay Area, take a look at SF Raw. It is a co-op where you can get all kinds of different types of meat for your dogs. You just have to join heb club an volunteer once a year to get member pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
If you are in the SF Bay Area, take a look at SF Raw. It is a co-op where you can get all kinds of different types of meat for your dogs. You just have to join heb club an volunteer once a year to get member pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion! I joined a few different coops when I first started but they are still too expensive (even with member pricing) plus the pickup places are all too far away. Just checked out SF Raw again since I haven't looked in awhile, but it won't work for me since I try to say under $2/lb. Thanks, though! I'm always on the hunt for additional resources.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Thanks for the suggestion! I joined a few different coops when I first started but they are still too expensive (even with member pricing) plus the pickup places are all too far away. Just checked out SF Raw again since I haven't looked in awhile, but it won't work for me since I try to say under $2/lb. Thanks, though! I'm always on the hunt for additional resources.

Have you tried Asian and Mexican markets? I hear organs are sold cheaper there. Some raw feeders would also advertise and browse Craigslist for meat. You should also check for Slaughter houses.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
Have you tried Asian and Mexican markets? I hear organs are sold cheaper there. Some raw feeders would also advertise and browse Craigslist for meat. You should also check for Slaughter houses.

There's a huge mexican market in the So Cal area called Vallarta, and i get meats there! Prices are great!

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare

I've been to over 30 markets (mom & pop as well as larger stores) in a 50 mile radius and still not much luck! They either don't have organs (or cheaper meats) or what they have is way expensive. I can buy pork kidney and liver at 99 Ranch Market (Asian market) for $1.69 and $2.39. I can't find any slaughter houses near here and I have looked at Craigslist (although not on a regular basis). I'll look again-- I'm always on the hunt! Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll have to bring my coolers on our next trip to Southern California! :)

Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
I usually buy chicken quarters for 75 cents a pound and use that as my base then add egg liver etc and anything I might find on sale . I find it much cheaper to feed raw then dog food especially with 5 dogs..of course if your bully is allergic to chicken this won't work

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I usually buy chicken quarters for 75 cents a pound and use that as my base then add egg liver etc and anything I might find on sale . I find it much cheaper to feed raw then dog food especially with 5 dogs..of course if your bully is allergic to chicken this won't work

When you're dog is allergic to a certain protein from kibble it doesn't necessarily mean he or she would be allergic to the same protein when raw. So a dog can be allergic to say kibble chicken but that doesn't necessarily mean he or she would be allergic to raw chicken :).

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
^Exactly...one of mine cannot do kibble that contains chicken but with raw its one of the main sources of protein I do feed with no issues.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
You can also raise your own food source. Just throwing it out there for the ones who are open to Urban Farming. It can get you super super cheap and very healthy.

You can raise rabbits, quail, and tilapia very easily in a residential neighborhood in most counties of the USA which you can use as your raw "base".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.