Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Commercial Raw vs Homemade Raw Food

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Kirby View Post
    I usually buy chicken quarters for 75 cents a pound and use that as my base then add egg liver etc and anything I might find on sale . I find it much cheaper to feed raw then dog food especially with 5 dogs..of course if your bully is allergic to chicken this won't work
    When you're dog is allergic to a certain protein from kibble it doesn't necessarily mean he or she would be allergic to the same protein when raw. So a dog can be allergic to say kibble chicken but that doesn't necessarily mean he or she would be allergic to raw chicken .

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member tyree213's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert,Scarlet, Tyra, & Kevin
    Likes (Received)

^Exactly...one of mine cannot do kibble that contains chicken but with raw its one of the main sources of protein I do feed with no issues.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

You can also raise your own food source. Just throwing it out there for the ones who are open to Urban Farming. It can get you super super cheap and very healthy.

You can raise rabbits, quail, and tilapia very easily in a residential neighborhood in most counties of the USA which you can use as your raw "base".

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    You can also raise your own food source. Just throwing it out there for the ones who are open to Urban Farming. It can get you super super cheap and very healthy.

You can raise rabbits, quail, and tilapia very easily in a residential neighborhood in most counties of the USA which you can use as your raw "base".
    SHE'S BACK!! how are you ?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Miss you all! I went through the wash and dry cycles and came out the other side in one piece... I'll post pix when I get a chance.

Country
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

YESSSS! it has been a loooong while! How are things at home?

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Back, Anatess! I was still new here when you left, but I remember your posts well. I learned a lot from them.
    Great to see you back.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dieMuttivonBifi View Post
    YESSSS! it has been a loooong while! How are things at home?
    Very tough. I'm going to get creamed for saying this... but the only way that worked for us was to make the dogs outdoor dogs. Yes, please don't make your English Bulldogs outdoor dogs. It is not good for them...

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Very tough. I'm going to get creamed for saying this... but the only way that worked for us was to make the dogs outdoor dogs. Yes, please don't make your English Bulldogs outdoor dogs. It is not good for them...
    So sorry.... Are you able to keep them cool? Did you build them an air conditioned doggie house?
    e.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

So sorry.... Are you able to keep them cool? Did you build them an air conditioned doggie house?
    We are in the process of building a doggie condo... at the moment, they are in our tile patio where we have a freezer that used to hold their dog food propped open. I have to say, they've been happy to get the run of the yard all day long. Bullie - the lazy bum - has become active. She lost weight and is now fairly muscular. Interestingly, they prefer to lay in their dug up dirt under the giant evergreen tree in the backyard than in their doggie beds by the freezer. Our biggest problem is keeping the bichon frise clean. The bullys stay fairly clean (one big advantage of raw fed dogs!) but keeping the bichon white and mat free is a losing battle - we ended up chopping all his hair off.

My son only had 2 hospital trips this year and he still gets to see us play with the dogs through the glass, so it's been a good compromise, I think. He is very relieved that we decided to keep the dogs. But, we shall see how long we can keep this situation up.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We are in the process of building a doggie condo... at the moment, they are in our tile patio where we have a freezer that used to hold their dog food propped open. I have to say, they've been happy to get the run of the yard all day long. Bullie - the lazy bum - has become active. She lost weight and is now fairly muscular. Interestingly, they prefer to lay in their dug up dirt under the giant evergreen tree in the backyard than in their doggie beds by the freezer. Our biggest problem is keeping the bichon frise clean. The bullys stay fairly clean (one big advantage of raw fed dogs!) but keeping the bichon white and mat free is a losing battle - we ended up chopping all his hair off.

My son only had 2 hospital trips this year and he still gets to see us play with the dogs through the glass, so it's been a good compromise, I think. He is very relieved that we decided to keep the dogs. But, we shall see how long we can keep this situation up.

Can't believe Bullie actually lost weight... too funny how things sometimes turn out better than planned. best of luck, so glad to hear your son is doing well too and there is for now a good compromise.
    e.

Country
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

So happy you found a solution! Hope everything works out well for your son and no more hospital trips!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads