RAW feeding... I'm confused:/

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] you seem like you have this all sorted out:)

I read the sticky threads on the RAW forum but I still have a few questions:

So do I feed it raw? I feel I'd like to cook it:unsure: you know like putting some vegetables in and make it a meal, lol.

Can I not only feed beef? I think my boy can't have chicken and I know he's sensitive to lamb (gets very loose poop). And we don't buy pork, ever...

And Bones? I wont be able to give bones as they are, I'd have a heart attack watching him eat that:ashamed: Can I ask the butcher to grind the bones for me and mix it with the meat?

There is a huge selection of venison meat here in South Africa, does that count as different kinds of protein? I'm completely clueless:blush2:

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] you seem like you have this all sorted out:)

So do I feed it raw? I feel I'd like to cook it:unsure: you know like putting some vegetables in and make it a meal, lol.

Can I not only feed beef? I think my boy can't have chicken and I know he's sensitive to lamb (gets very loose poop). And we don't buy pork, ever...

And Bones? I wont be able to give bones as they are, I'd have a heart attack watching him eat that:ashamed: Can I ask the butcher to grind the bones for me and mix it with the meat?

There is a huge selection of venison meat here in South Africa, does that count as different kinds of protein? I'm completely clueless:blush2:

Are you only wanting to raw feed due to your bully's recent skin problems ?

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Are you only wanting to raw feed due to your bully's recent skin problems ?

Yes, I want to find a way to get his immune system up and I'm considering if this is a good way... any other ideas? He gets coconut oil and yogurt already. The food he's on currently isn't the most expensive but we tried others and it doesn't work AT ALL, he pukes even from just a little new food mixed with the old:(. He doesn't have major skin issues, he gets a spot of staph maybe 2-3 times a year, which goes a way when I bath him with Pyostat shampoo, and he's sensitive to tick bites... other than that he's fine. Maybe I'm overreacting?

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I know no nothing about Raw feeding but if it's only a few times a year and it's cleared could it be environmental rather than food.
Better folk than me will answer that

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Ja [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] I don't think it's his food that causes the problem... I'm just concerned that his food isn't enough to keep him at his best:unsure: The other two does good on it though... none of them have any food related issues. Bennie is my little boy and he can look so miserable when he's not feeling well, it gets to me:blush2:

Maybe I'm just looking for "extras" that can boost his immune system... I thought maybe I can give RAW only now and then or 50/50... I really haven't thought this through:tongue:. Maybe I should just start with some vitamin supplements or something and see how it goes. Decisions decisions...

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If you cook it, it's not raw anymore, It's home cooked, lol.

You can add veggies to raw food and home cooked. It's not necessary to feed bone or other meats than beef, but you need to supplement. I feed most of the bone grind, but it's easily available here. Unfortunately veal is only a young beef and it does't really count. In my opinion home cooked could be the right way to go. Google "dogaware home cooking" and you get great info and meal plans.

@RiiSi you seem like you have this all sorted out:)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
If you cook it, it's not raw anymore, It's home cooked, lol.

You can add veggies to raw food and home cooked. It's not necessary to feed bone or other meats than beef, but you need to supplement. I feed most of the bone grind, but it's easily available here. Unfortunately veal is only a young beef and it does't really count. In my opinion home cooked could be the right way to go. Google "dogaware home cooking" and you get great info and meal plans.

Haha, ja that makes sense:blush2: I guess I'll be making my furkids some home cooked meals then to mix it up a little with their current food... I think that might be enough for now. Thanks for the info:thanks:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
No [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] I'm from Sweden... but I live in South Africa:) Moved here in 2010 so I haven't lived here very long.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
You can feed different types of meat, If I feed pork, fish, or any wild game type animal like duck etc I freeze it for at least a week before feeding as a precaution.

You mentioned your dog is allergic to chicken, was this kibble or have you tried raw? I ask this because often times if your dog is allergic to chicken flavored kibble they can eat raw chicken with no issue. I know this firsthand.

You can have the bones grinded but it takes away the mental stimulation from your pet and they also get the benefit of a teeth cleaning when they are knawing away at the bones.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I think she said venison, which is deer, and that would count as a second protein to beef. We feed ground up meat and bone mixture. Feed raw does help Lola's allergies, which are mostly environmental. Lola is on bison, venison, and boar.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
You can feed different types of meat, If I feed pork, fish, or any wild game type animal like duck etc I freeze it for at least a week before feeding as a precaution.

You mentioned your dog is allergic to chicken, was this kibble or have you tried raw? I ask this because often times if your dog is allergic to chicken flavored kibble they can eat raw chicken with no issue. I know this firsthand.

You can have the bones grinded but it takes away the mental stimulation from your pet and they also get the benefit of a teeth cleaning when they are knawing away at the bones.

I'm not sure he's sensitive to chicken but it feels to me like he's licking his feet more after eating it... I sometimes give them chicken if we've had it for dinner and have leftover, it's not raw, it's cooked. It can be a coincidence too... he gets loose poop if I give him lamb, I thought it was cos it's fatty but it doesn't matter if I cut the fat off.

I think I'm gonna try and find more supplements to his current food and see if it helps before I try the raw route...

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I think she said venison, which is deer, and that would count as a second protein to beef. We feed ground up meat and bone mixture. Feed raw does help Lola's allergies, which are mostly environmental. Lola is on bison, venison, and boar.

Venison and beef should be different kind of protein then? So I could feed him venison, beef and... fish?

I think though that I'll wait a little before changing anything... I want to try and add things to his current food first and see if his problems goes away. Since he doesn't have major issues it might be enough?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion allergen is an allergen even in small doses. The reaction isn't dependend on the amount he gets. This could be a little bit exaggerated example, but think of people allergic to peanuts. The reaction is the same with a trace of peanut and a whole one.

Venison and beef should be different kind of protein then? So I could feed him venison, beef and... fish?

I think though that I'll wait a little before changing anything... I want to try and add things to his current food first and see if his problems goes away. Since he doesn't have major issues it might be enough?

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
In my opinion allergen is an allergen even in small doses. The reaction isn't dependend on the amount he gets. This could be a little bit exaggerated example, but think of people allergic to peanuts. The reaction is the same with a trace of peanut and a whole one.

Ja the thing is he's not allergic to his food, he doesn't show any signs of allergy most part of the year... but he's the only one that gets the Staph bacteria and he's the only one reacting to tick bites:( I don't know why, maybe he's just that way and it doesn't matter what I feed him, or a change in food could possible boost his immune system and that way keep the Staph and tick reactions away?

It's not really an option trying other kibble foods as that hasn't worked out in the past:unsure: So I'm looking to add "good stuff" to his current food and I figured adding home cooked meat and veggies could be the answer... or maybe even easier give him some type of vitamin supplement.

He's fine now again, the bumps went away after the Pyostat bath and the Staph wound has healed:) I tend to panic when it happens cos I'm so scared it will get worse, we haven't had a vet in this town until about a month ago. Our vet is 1 1/2 hour away which is very long if things go wrong:(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.