Switch to raw with bad gums and bone?

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
This is the information I got from the vet. The vet recommended feeding canned food for Margot's whole life. I'd really rather get her started on raw and under normal circumstances think it would be best, but I'm not familiar with the breed and their usual problems so thought I would ask y'all. This is the email.

She did great for her dental today - the canine tooth that was fractured was extracted, and I did extract one incisor that was loose and painful. Being a bulldog, she has a lot of "extra gum" growth, sometimes covering the teeth. She also has early signs of a dental pathology called "tooth resorption" on most if not all of her teeth. This is not an indication for extraction or anything further at this time, but I would recommend at least annual dentals and x-rays for whoever adopts her in the future. I also charted 5 teeth that have some early bone loss at their root furcation and should be monitored annually.

So, would raw be a good idea with her gums, "tooth resorption", and bone loss?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think that's a great idea but tagged the experts on this thread. I hope everything turns out ok.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I think that's a great idea but tagged the experts on this thread. I hope everything turns out ok.

Thank you. I'm very familiar with raw feeding, but not with preexisting conditions or the breed, so want to learn more before I decide to do something that may not be good for her mouth.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'd say that is more usual problem of neglected dental care, than being a bulldog. Raw is a very good idea, but the bone matter should be grind. She will not be able to crush the bones with her teeth.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I'd say that is more usual problem of neglected dental care, than being a bulldog. Raw is a very good idea, but the bone matter should be grind. She will not be able to crush the bones with her teeth.

Even with small soft bones like in quail, cornish hen, and rats? Guess I'll be looking for a meat grinder. What would help keep her teeth clean and gums worn down?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
In the rawfeeding yahoo group, they recommend giving the dog whole big pieces of meat. your dog would then decide if he or she can handle the bones or not. They also recommend smashing the bones to aid your dog with eating bones. Cleaning of teeth can also be achieved by the pulling of the meat while they eat. Just remember to give pieces of meat bigger than the head of your dog. no chicken or turkey necks as that is just the right size for choking. no chicken backs as it is too boney or just add meat. As [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] said before, there are alot of ways to feed your dog raw and this is just how i feed mine :) so hope that helps.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I think once her mouth heals she'll be able to handle a chicken quarter or cornish hen fine maybe not the large bone, especially at first, but I can take that away when she gets to it, or let her chew on it for extra teeth cleaning. Adding in some red meat without bone and she would still get enough bone in the chix quarters for her 10%.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Then chicken breast would do fine too. softer bones more meat. remember to also check for additional sodium content of meat specially chicken and pork.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion and if her teeth are as bad as the vet thinks, I would be careful at first. You can even give her raw diet without bone until her mouth heals and then start giving her softer bones and gradually work from there. I would not take the risk of her loosing more teeth. I would not be comfortable with a hungry dogs judgement of being able to eat the bone or not.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Why not try Stella and Cheweys or Natures Variety Instinct raw patties? Everything, including the bone, is finely ground and its a complete diet. It is available at PetFood Express or Petco as well as pet boutiques. My dogs only eat the raw patties and have never even had bad breath. The vet always asks if I brush their teeth (I never do, its all about feeding a raw diet). I would stay away from canned dog food at all costs. I would soak the kibble to make it soft before feeding canned food.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I could try premade raw. Just have never considered it because of the expense, but feeding one dog wouldn't be bad. It's just so cheap to feed regular raw that it seemed a waste to feed the premade. It is an option though.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
Update, she is 10 days post-op and I have her first bone in meal defrosting for tomorrows dinner. After the vet's okay she's been getting ground mixed with her meds, so I'll continue to do that for a small amount of food to mix meds in and start with the bone in meals.

Most Reactions