Raw feeding question

Amyp325

Apr 23, 2014
Hey guys,
I just started feeding my 7 month old english bulldog raw and he loves it! I want to be sure I am feeding the right amount of muscle meat though.
He weighs currently 38 lbs and his mom and dad weighed 60 and 70 lbs so I expect him to be somewhere around 65 lbs once full grown.
Right now I am feeding him chicken thighs cut up daily around 13 oz total and also giving some cut up chicken neck, shredded carrots, cut up kale and spinach. Also offering a small amount of organ meat twice a week.
Is the meat portion ok or am I suppose to go off the weight he will be once full grown?
He gobbles up his good in less than 45 seconds.
I have already seen a big improvement with his energy level, not drinking as much water and poop looks great.

Any feed back will be helpful.

Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I buy commercial raw patties so can't really input much.
The formula, from what I've read here, is 80/10/10. 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ.
But since he's still a puppy, I don't want to presume it's the same. Riisi's fed raw since her boys raw since they were pups, she'll give you all the info. you need.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That's the thing with raw...there's so many ways to do it. I started feeding raw to my first bully when he was 7 months old and an experienced raw feeder told me that you can really treat 7 months old as an adult. The amount is different for every dog. With 7 months old I would allready feed 2-4% of current bodyweight. If gaining weight too fast, reduce amount, if too thin, give more. When starting, it good to start with one protein source and if no ill reactions, add another. Three different sources in the minimum. So you could probably add another source of protein, since his poops are good. Organs should come last. What do you feed as organ? Also in my opinion your bully would get the most of the veggies if you pure them.

OP
Amyp325

Amyp325

Apr 23, 2014
Hello, thank you both for your helpful advice. I will go ahead and add some lean ground turkey to his diet since the chicken is going well. Right now I am giving a small amount of liver as the organ meat. We are picking up a beef heart this Saturday from a local butcher.
Well noted regarding the veggies... I have a food processor so I assume that would work?

OP
Amyp325

Amyp325

Apr 23, 2014
Oh one more thing... The only thing I wish Si would do is drink more water :/ before when he was on Fromm kibble it was like he could not get enough water! Now he barely drinks water which is scary to me. Other than that he is doing really well with the raw diet.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
A lot of dogs on raw don't drink as much water, cause raw food is really 65-75% water. You could try to entice him to drink by adding some no salt bouillon in to his water.
Heart has more nutrients than normal meat and is very good to feed, but is not really considered an organ. 10% of all food should be organ and half of that liver. Other organs to feed are kidneys and lung and even brains, pancreas, spleen.

Food processor will do the trick.

OP
Amyp325

Amyp325

Apr 23, 2014
That is very good to know and I will definitely try the bouillon trick. I have not seen the other organs you mention in the supermarket or meat markets. Will I need to buy this online?

OP
Amyp325

Amyp325

Apr 23, 2014
Thank you for your great help!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
My best guess is the butchers, but maybe [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] or [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] can tell you where to get them and give more info....

B

Baxter Tiberius

Hey guys,
I just started feeding my 7 month old english bulldog raw and he loves it! I want to be sure I am feeding the right amount of muscle meat though.
He weighs currently 38 lbs and his mom and dad weighed 60 and 70 lbs so I expect him to be somewhere around 65 lbs once full grown.
Right now I am feeding him chicken thighs cut up daily around 13 oz total and also giving some cut up chicken neck, shredded carrots, cut up kale and spinach. Also offering a small amount of organ meat twice a week.
Is the meat portion ok or am I suppose to go off the weight he will be once full grown?
He gobbles up his good in less than 45 seconds.
I have already seen a big improvement with his energy level, not drinking as much water and poop looks great.

Any feed back will be helpful.

Thank you so much!

Remember that with raw - comparing weights to the parents might not work. Unless they were on raw also. Depends on the carbs you give. If none, then expect your pup to be significantly skinnier and weigh significantly less than his parents. At least that has been my experience with Baxter. I had to add some kibble or he was going to waste away on raw. Literally skin and bones. Its the same as humans doing protein-only diets. I don't know if this holds true for an adult bulldog. But even with 30% raw 70% kibble, people constantly comment that Baxter is "very muscular and fit looking". I am just concerned about his kidney numbers that were always so high. Too much protein meat is a lot of strain on the kidneys. So im trying to give his kidneys a bit of a break with a 45% carb based kibble. And lowering the meat protein a bit. It has resulted him him finally filling out to a "normal" body mass. Anyways, I always thought "baxter was smaller" but it turned out, it was the way i was feeding him. He was grossly underweight on raw.

-B-

OP
Amyp325

Amyp325

Apr 23, 2014
Hi there, thank you for the advice. I know Si's parents were on a kibble from Cosco. I believe it was chicken and rice.
I do not want Si to not get enough of what he needs.
Before raw Si was on Fromm grain free pork and peas.
I went grain free originally to eliminate any potential allergic issues. What kibble are you feeding to Baxter?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Uhm you can feed raw and your pup WILL still reach the desired weight you want and their parents. It just entirely depends on how much you feed your pup. the 2-3% (some feed their, pups 'till 4months of age 5-10% of the pup's weight) of the estimated adult weight is just a recommendation, that's it. best way to measure how much you're feeding is to look at your pup. If you look him from above he should have a waist. If you look at him from the side, you shouldn't see his ribs but you should be able to feel them and not search for them. And remember secreting organs are the ones considered organs like liver, pancreas, spleen, eyes, brain. Heart and lungs are fed as muscle. The 10% organ should be 5% liver.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Respectfully disagree that "feeding more raw" will get a dog to the same weight as a dog who is on kibble.

This pertains to carb content versus protein-only.

Dogs on raw are nearly always significantly skinnier than dogs on kibble, due to the lack of carbs.

Body fat will also be significantly less.

Im basing this on how baxter looked when he was on raw. (see video below) And general knowledge of ketogenic (protein-only) versus carb-based diets.

And yes - he was getting "A lot of it". So amount did not matter how much. The theory that meat fat makes them fat turned out to be false too. As far as I am concerned all it does is clog arteries. But thats just my personal opinion. I don't see much difference between humans and animals in this regard.

I was so determined to force him to eat raw that I couldn't see how emaciated he was.

I sent this video to the breeder, who responded with great concern:

The reference to the "bag" is me trying to supplement with kibble.

"Feeding him more raw" didn't get rid of the ribs problem. Just landed us in the hospital with kidney ultrasounds.

He is now on about 30% "whole foods" (not raw, but lightly cooked) and 70% kibble with half of that carbs. You can see how he looks now, in my avatar.

I realize opinions are strong on this matter in both directions, so I am only speaking from personal experience.

-B-

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
"respectfully" disagree maybe you should read more about raw feeding. raw meat is only 16-20% protein. fat is also an essential part of raw feeding. and it won't give your dog kidney problem. seems like your misinformed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online