Thread: Raw feeding question

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Raw feeding question

Uhm you can feed raw and your pup WILL still reach the desired weight you want and their parents. It just entirely depends on how much you feed your pup. the 2-3% (some feed their, pups 'till 4months of age 5-10% of the pup's weight) of the estimated adult weight is just a recommendation, that's it. best way to measure how much you're feeding is to look at your pup. If you look him from above he should have a waist. If you look at him from the side, you shouldn't see his ribs but you should be able to feel them and not search for them. And remember secreting organs are the ones considered organs like liver, pancreas, spleen, eyes, brain. Heart and lungs are fed as muscle. The 10% organ should be 5% liver.

Baxter Tiberius

Respectfully disagree that "feeding more raw" will get a dog to the same weight as a dog who is on kibble.

This pertains to carb content versus protein-only.

Dogs on raw are nearly always significantly skinnier than dogs on kibble, due to the lack of carbs.

Body fat will also be significantly less.

Im basing this on how baxter looked when he was on raw. (see video below) And general knowledge of ketogenic (protein-only) versus carb-based diets.

And yes - he was getting "A lot of it". So amount did not matter how much. The theory that meat fat makes them fat turned out to be false too. As far as I am concerned all it does is clog arteries. But thats just my personal opinion. I don't see much difference between humans and animals in this regard.

I was so determined to force him to eat raw that I couldn't see how emaciated he was.

I sent this video to the breeder, who responded with great concern:

The reference to the "bag" is me trying to supplement with kibble.

"Feeding him more raw" didn't get rid of the ribs problem. Just landed us in the hospital with kidney ultrasounds.

He is now on about 30% "whole foods" (not raw, but lightly cooked) and 70% kibble with half of that carbs. You can see how he looks now, in my avatar.

I realize opinions are strong on this matter in both directions, so I am only speaking from personal experience.

-B-

Country
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

"respectfully" disagree maybe you should read more about raw feeding. raw meat is only 16-20% protein. fat is also an essential part of raw feeding. and it won't give your dog kidney problem. seems like your misinformed.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Dogs on raw will grow slower than dogs on kibble and bullys will be mature and are at their best from 3 years on.
    -10330349_10152386460729726_1188357323349915351_n-jpgThis is my 3,5 years old boy who weights about 30 kg (66lbs). Fed only raw from 7 months old.
    -10339654_10152407408434726_7848982013973187266_n-jpgThis is 18months old boy who actually only weights a kilo (2,2lbs) less, but has a long way to go to be a mature "filled up" bully. Fed only raw from 8 weeks old.
    -10372336_10152455547149726_5932408680825230494_n-jpg-1901194_10152268760214726_1320496115_n-jpgThere is not much fat, but I wouldn't say there's no muscle.

Country
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

The 2 gorgeous brothers! love these 2 stunning bullies! they don't look skinny to me!

My boy is one year and 2 months old. weighs 25 kg (55lbs.). fed raw since 6 months of age. and we have been feeding Prey Model Raw, you know the "proteins only" no veggies and especially no carbs.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I was just going to pose a question about feeding raw and drinking, and found the answer here! Castor started eating raw about a month ago and he drinks considerably less than before. This worried us a bit as summer has arrived and we would have expected him to drink much more. Good to hear this is normal, although we'll try the bouillon trick too.

Seeing how Castor's digestion has improved, we should have done this switch much earlier. We have opted for a commercial brand of frozen raw food. Castor hasn't gained much weight yet (still about 19 kilos (42 lbs) at 14 months, but he is quite strong.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Blue started eating commercial raw at 1 year. He's 18 months now and weighs 56lbs. I give him 3 patties a day for a total of 24 oz plus a snack before bed which is more than this brand recommends for his weight. I had to feel it out and get him to a weight I was comfortable with and leave some wiggle room since he's still growing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads