Experience switching puppy to raw?

alirebco

May 16, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Annabelle (Belly)
Right now, we are currently feeding our pup who turns 12 weeks tomorrow Fromms Puppy Gold with a spoonful of yogurt and a tiny dab of pumpkin on top twice a day. Her gas is non-existent and her poops are nice and compact, perfect consistency. She is also growing nicely - gained 4-5 lbs in 2 weeks and has gotten longer as well.

My goal is to have her on raw. I will likely use one of the premade ground brands at first and see how it goes.

My questions are how did you make the transition from dry to raw since you're not supposed to mix the two and if anyone did this for a 3 month old pup. Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a good premade brand?

I hate to mess with a good thing but hopefully the transition won't be too rough. We are also still dealing with tear stains so I'm hoping switching to raw will help with those as well.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] maybe able to help with your questions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've never made the switch with a 3 month old puppy, but the general thought on it is to do the switch "cold turkey". My older boy was 7 months and younger 8 weeks when I switched and they didn't have any problems. Some dogs can develope diarrhea, but a pups stomach hasn't really grown use to any food yet and normally does OK.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we did our switch cold turkey too, but Lola was older, about 2 years. We just couldnt find a kibble she would eat (#1) and wouldn't cause her to itch uncontrollably (#2). We feed raw patties, because its easier and we don't have a second freezer to stock up on prey model raw. We found the transition very easy, Lola LOVED it. and her coat became shiny again almost in an instant. She actually enjoyed her meals, without us having to sit and beg her while hand feeding kibble mixed with a bunch of cheese or yogurt.

Id switch to a beef or chicken premade patty. Feed 2-3% of your pups adult weight (we feed 1 lb which is 2% of Lola's adult 50lb frame). We started out on NVI beef or venison, which Lola loved, but she is allergic to beef and lamb (and the venison has lamb in it). I liked the NVI because we fed just less than a lb per day - just one of the big patties per day - split into two meals. Which ended up being cost effective, although it looks like not much volume for a 50lb dog to eat. I'd suggest trying NVI because of its availability, even at large pet stores. We now feed tollden farms, which is a canadian brand. But we are able to get proteins like boar and bison.

hope this helps! good luck, your bully is very lucky to have such a knowledgable owner!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online