Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Commercial Raw?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Douglas
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Best Commercial Raw?

I started feeding mine the barf diet! Anyone heard?

Drool Catcher AdventuresWithOliver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone -

Oliver has had so many issues that are food related. He spent the last year on a prescription diet and has lost 12 pounds through the year. He recently started having diarrhea and our vet felt he could have built an intolerance to the protein. We switched to canned i/d to try to alleviate the diarrhea but things got even worse, despite also being on Metronidazole. Our vet has run tests, checked stool samples and everything is checking out. We have fasted Oliver, and now have begun a chicken and rice diet while he finishes a Tylan powder course. Oliver has many issues and I've just begun researching a raw food diet, but it would be a commercial one. Threads on here have been helpful. While we don't believe Oliver has an allergy, I am beginning to believe raw might just be better for him overall.

He is currently on a Vegan plant enzyme and probiotic, along with a digestive enzyme.

With that being said, I'd love some more advice:
    -When we decide on a brand (which is another heavy decision), should we fast again-- or slowly add the food to his rice and chicken and increase the new/decrease chicken and rice daily (as we would any other food change)?
    -Consistency: Oliver has esophagus issues (however, not Mega Esophagus) - Are most raw foods soft? He can swallow and tolerate pate-style, but not anything too "soupy". (Was that a dumb question? I'm totally new to looking into raw foods.)
    -Oliver does have one specific food issue: Carrots. I know, weird, right? He cannot digest carrots. SO many dog foods contain carrots so I'm assuming it will be much easier to avoid them in a raw food, right? Edit - - (Ugh, I'm researching brands/ingredients and I keep seeing carrots. Does anyone know of any brands that DO NOT use carrots?)
    -Protein: I assume he would need to try a protein he's never had before. If there are issues with him tolerating that protein, is it safe to immediately try another protein, or would we being in the "fasting-chicken-rice" phase all over again?
    -Brand: For those that feed commercial raw - what is your favorite brand?

ALL/ANY advice, input thoughts would be appreciated. I personally do not eat meat and could not tolerate making my own food for him which is why we would go with a commercial brand.
    Life is always an Adventure with Oliver!
    http://adventureswitholiver.tumblr.com/

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

You can try a protein you've used before in kibble format. We feed nvi duck formula raw pellets, which I don't thaw and Lola eats them like kibble right from the freezer. I think you can go straight to raw, no transition from bland diet. I don't know if nvi has carrot or not... Likely not.

sent from my droid mini

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@AdventuresWithOliver

I just checked Stella & Chewy's and NVI. I checked every raw flavor and every single one contains carrots- from both companies.

I would join "dog food advisor" and post the question there. They should be able to give you a recommendation.

Otherwise, you can try cooking the protein and adding the veggies yourself @cali baker knows more about this.

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    @AdventuresWithOliver

I just checked Stella & Chewy's and NVI. I checked every raw flavor and every single one contains carrots- from both companies.

I would join "dog food advisor" and post the question there. They should be able to give you a recommendation.

Otherwise, you can try cooking the protein and adding the veggies yourself @cali baker knows more about this.

Thanks. I researched ALL day yesterday and learned a lot. Right now, I have found two brands that do not contain carrots: Bravo and Dogswell Nutrissa - both are freeze dried. I am still researching more brands. Unfortunately, we have tried having Oliver eat veggies that were home-cooked (we literally tried EVERY veggie that is good for dogs) and he wouldn't eat them. Either I'm a horrible cook or he is super picky! I truly appreciate you taking the time to not only reply, but to research those brands/flavors. Thank you!

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    You can try a protein you've used before in kibble format. We feed nvi duck formula raw pellets, which I don't thaw and Lola eats them like kibble right from the freezer. I think you can go straight to raw, no transition from bland diet. I don't know if nvi has carrot or not... Likely not.

sent from my droid mini
    Thanks for the reply! In my hours of researching yesterday, I've only found two brands without carrots. I have to look further into each of those brands!

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the replies. Have any of you used either Bravo or Dogswell Nutrissa or Sojos? Those are the only two brands I've come across that do NOT use carrots. It's amazing what a staple food carrots are in dog food. I wish Oliver could eat them; he loves them, just can't digest them.
    Fortunately, I still have time to research brands since Oliver is on chicken and rice for another 5-6 days until he finishes this round of Tylan and until his tummy settles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads