Transitioning from 3 Meals to only 2?

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
I had planned on transistioning Skakespeare from 3 meals a day down to 2 at 6-9 months, and then down to 1 at a year old. However, I don't think he could skip his lunch!

FYI... I feed him raw meat/bones/organs, a veggie, and a dollop of yogurt (plus some other supplements) appropriate for his age/weight and adjust as he grows (some days are more depending on cut of meat and size of bones, etc). He does get some veggie or fruit treats in the afternoon. He is pretty active and has maintained a good, "slender" weight. He has never left a drop of food behind, in fact, he licks his entire bowl to make sure he hasn't missed anything. Even if he has had a larger portion of meat for lunch, there is no hesitation in eating his dinner.

If you transitioned, how did you do it and how did you know it was the right time? I know that there is no rule that he has to only eat once or twice a day, and that some dogs do need to eat more often. Any suggestions for how to try it? Anyone else still do 2 or 3 a day?

Thanks!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We still feed Buster 3 times a day, we used to do 4 until he turned 9 months old. We just cut back on the amount we give him. He eats total about 1 & 1/2 cups of food total a day split into 3. I believe the majority of the people on here feed their bullys twice a day.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
At about 7 months we transition ours to twice a day. We just do it cold turkey. I would keep him on twice a day though, some people feed only once a day, but we don't. I don't have proof of it, but I feel it cuts down on bloat too, by feeding twice a day.

OP
Redsmom

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Sounds good. I guess I needed some reassurance that it was "okay". I think I'll try and get him down to 2 when the kids are out for Spring Break in a few weeks and will be home to provide him with some extra distraction. We'll see how it goes, and if 2 doesn't seem to be the right fit then we'll stick with 3. Thanks for your help!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.