Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Hi guys!

Was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the commercial raw diets. I don't seem to have anywhere around here (DeWitt, IA) that sells them in the stores, so if I wanted to switch to that I'd have to order it.

My dog has been on a prey model raw diet for about a year and a half. She does fairly well on it. Lately we've been having a lot of problems with her puking stuff up though. A breeder friend suggested that it might be additives or something in the meat and that she might benefit from commercial raw.

I'm thinking of either switching to that or trying to order meat online from places like My Pet Carnivore or Raw Paws. I'm just really frustrated because I can't seem to find her a happy medium of what to feed her.

Thanks guys!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi guys!

Was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the commercial raw diets. I don't seem to have anywhere around here (DeWitt, IA) that sells them in the stores, so if I wanted to switch to that I'd have to order it.

My dog has been on a prey model raw diet for about a year and a half. She does fairly well on it. Lately we've been having a lot of problems with her puking stuff up though. A breeder friend suggested that it might be additives or something in the meat and that she might benefit from commercial raw.

I'm thinking of either switching to that or trying to order meat online from places like My Pet Carnivore or Raw Paws. I'm just really frustrated because I can't seem to find her a happy medium of what to feed her.

Thanks guys!

We recently switched to Stella and Chewy's raw. I ordered a months worth of the freeze dried dinners. They're patties (he gets a 8 per feeding for a total of 16 per day) that you crumble and add water to. It's a great product, the best commercially available raw food I was able to find so far.

He was a little backed up and his stool was dry and crumbly the first few weeks, but it's cleared up now and he's fine.

Just google stella and chewy's. It's too much info. to post but the gist is: They use top quality ingredients including organic for at least the fruits/veggies, and I was told that their meat is human grade even though it doesn't say sot on their site.
Also, there aren't any grains, no potato or peas, fillers, antibiotics or hormones. No artificial preservatives or coloring, and no sugar or salt.

There are other companies that also have commercially available raw and I know that [MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION] feeds Natures Variety Instinct Raw patties so hopefully she'll chime in and give you her opinion.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Hi there,

We feed Lola two brands of frozen commercially available raw. NVI meat patties (which include bone and organ) and Tollden farms, a canadian brand. I like NVI because its available in most high end pet food stores. And I suspect that petsmart will start to carry brands like this in their frozen foods section to expand their customer base. They have about 6 proteins available, but the venison version also contains lamb, which makes Lola itchy. I like this brand because the larger patties - you only need to feed 1 whole patty per day, which is slightly less than a pound for a 50lb dog. doesnt seem like much volume but Lola maintains her weight perfectly on this. Typically Lola's poops are pretty solid, on the hard side with NVI.

Tollden farms nuggets (the largest ones) are 1/2 lbs each, so we feed two per day (1lb is 2% of Lola's body weight). These have much more water in them, and I think a small amount of plant material for nutrients (like alfalfa or something). But still mostly meat/bone/organ, and you can see the little bits of the whole animal ground up on these patties, unlike NVI which is like solid ground mush pressed into a patty. These also come in a variety of proteins, so we feed Lola boar patties and bison patties and we mix a NVI in about once a week. Her poos are less solid with boar, little rabbit nuggets with the bison. but i guess your dog will react to each protein differently. I try to mix it up between two proteins a week if i can. no biggie if I can't though. our dog food store is about 6 houses down so its easy for us to walk there.

I would check out whats available to you by mail and pick up two protein sources fromyour company of choice and give it a shot. If your dog is not picky like Lola is, you should be successful on your first time! I hope it works out better than your current situation though. best of luck

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=11176]Scott Ross[/MENTION] I just checked it out. Was reading the ingredients in their various items. I don't see any that are "complete". Meaning, meat, bone, muscle/organ" for their adult items (the puppy one looks complete).

Do you mix and match? Because you would have to. Unless I'm missing something?
This looks interesting, but I'm wondering what the difference is with this, and just doing it yourself at home (other than the grinding it up part).

Scott Ross

Feb 19, 2014
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley
My pup is getting kibble (Fromms Puppy Gold) as 75% of his diet supplemented with some beef & bone. I was having a hard time finding ingredients on their website. Will look again.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.