Dry, Crumbly Poo on Commercial RAW..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Aside from Blue poo'ing a lot less which I know is normal on raw, for the last week his poo is very dry and crumbles when you pick it up. He's also struggling to go but I have him on pumpkin for that and it seems to be helping.

Any idea why his :poo: is like this? I was reading this could happen if there's too much bone in his diet, but no idea if this is true.

We're leaving for Florida tomorrow morning. It's a long drive and we won't be home until the following Sunday. I'm nervous about keeping him on raw the whole week and away from his vet if this isn't normal.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
maybe you could try another brand to mix it up? Lola alternates between two brands. I'm not familiar with the stella and chewys that you feed (if that's not it i apologize, i thought i remembered your choosing that). You can cut it with meat. MEAT. non enhanced chicken, beef, pork. pick one to add to current brand and stick with it, or choose another brand of commercially available food.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
When my boy's output is like yours i just give him more meat, add organs and skip the bone. I would reduce the patty add a little meat. Organs or offals would make soft outputs but i dont think you give him those so better skip it coz too much would result to cannon butt. And we dont want that :no:.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yep, it's Stella and Chewy's.
Just don't know how to do it. He now gets 8 patties 2x a day. If I cut it down to 8 patties, how much beef would i need to give? Any idea? 8 patties equals 560 cals, so do I just give him like a 10-11oz piece of sirloin steak?
I'm very confused here..

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'd probably go by weight. Lola is 50lbs, so I feed 2% of that weight which is 1 lb. The patties must have a weight associated with them? (although I feed less than 1 lb per day of the NVI patties)

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
They're freeze dried so I can't really go by weight. If we weren't leaving tomorrow morning, I would of switched him to the frozen patties which like you said, go by weight. But for now, I need to go by calories.

I guess I can substitute 4 patties at leastm with some organ meat since he's still straining to go.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I would just add some ground beef to the patty - take 1/4 of the patty out and substitute with 1/4 ground beef. Play with the amount until his poop is normal- crumbly isn't good as they get backed up from to much bone

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Ok, will substitute with ground beef.

Thanks guys.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Nothing to worry about, it's just too much bone like others said. Beef or any other not enhanced meat is good and if you can get tribe that is a great substitute as well. Should be cheaper too. If Usko gets too much bone he usually leaves those crumbly reminders on the floor...

Members online

No members online now.