Need a bit of help..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm gonna start switching Blue to Raw freeze dried Beef patties this weekend. It's this product http://www.stellaandchewys.com/dog-driedbeef.php and if he does well, am hoping to switch to home Raw eventually.

But for now, can one of your Raw feeding Pros take a look and let me know if I should supplement with anything else? He's currently on a Salmon Kibble so I'm wondering if should give him some Salmon oil once he's totally on Raw?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
There's vitamin E and D added in the patties, so if these patties have everything your dog needs, you take a risk of over dosing on fat soluble vitamins and that can be too much of a good thing in that case.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hmm.. can I transition him to raw? or should I cut out the kibble completely and just feed raw?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i wouldnt mix the two together in one meal. But if you are worried on how he will take to it, you can feed kibble in the morning and the new raw at night for a few days. Kibble digests very differently (and takes way longer) than raw food in the tummy. You dont want to have them both in the tummy at the same time, and you want the stomach to get used to the new food as quickly as possible so that digestion is complete and efficient. you can move to raw food without a transition period. you don't need salmon oil.

We feed frozen raw patties by NVI and Tollden farms (canadian) and we do not supplement with anything else. if you move to feeding raw, like raw meats/bones you would have to make sure you have the right proportion of meat vs bone vs organs, because there are important nutrients from all three.

good luck! i'm sure blue will love it.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for the info. ladies!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm never good at reading those ingredients, but I assume that all packaged meals include everything that's required for a healthy diet.

I feed whole-prey, and I supplement with salmon/fish oil because I don't feed enough fish.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We fed him Raw this morning and he had no problem eating it. In fact, he loved it.

Then about an hour ago (3 hours after eating), he threw some of it up. He seems fine and since he kept most of it down, I'm not really worried.
[MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION] on the website it says to do a slow transition, 5-7 days. But considering that it makes sense not to feed kibble and raw together, I don't know what to do..
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I think so. According to the ingredients it has beef, beef liver, beef heart, beef tripe, beef bone. The rest are veggies and vitamins/minerals. It does contain Tocopherol (a Vitamin E preservative) but unless I do homemade raw, I really have no choice.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
well just see how he does! on raw he will poop less, and drink less water (at least Lola does with the from frozen variety).

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Glad blue did ok so far! Keep us updated, Holly gets Stella & Chewys freeze dried treats and likes them (maybe we are making a mistake giving her this with her regular kibble).

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So I did the switch on Saturday. Decided I'm not going to transition based on what I've read. Big mistake. He's a little backed up right now. Yesterday didn't go at all. Today he finally did but strained for a long time before getting it out.
I'm wondering if I should give him some pumpkin to help things along?
It's too late to add his old kibble in since this is his 4th day of raw, but should I switch again, I won't do it this way anymore. Poor little guy, I can see how uncomfortable he is. Hoping he starts to feel better soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Dang poor Blue! Hope it settles out soon, I'm not sure about the Pumpkin but don't see why it would hurt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.