Tips for our little girl

TacorisBulldogs

Feb 11, 2014
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tacori
Hello all! We are new to the forum and new parents to our little lovebug, Tacori! She is 10 weeks tomorrow, we brought her home on her 9 week birthday! She's been on a raw diet since birth...pre-made raw at her breeders and 100% raw at our home. I have three quesions that I'd love your opinions on:

1. We haven't given her any bone in her diet yet, just 50% protein (beef or chicken), veggies, a suppliment for vitamins and wheat rice along with oats. Should we be giving her bone as well and if so, how exactly? Just mix some bones in her food? How large?

2. Would it be enough to just give her cuts of bone to chew on throught a day that we got from a pet store instead of putting it in her food?

3. Is it ok for her to chew on a pig ear? We don't want to let her have any rawhide but our other dog had a pig ear and Tacori keeps grabbing it and going to town.

Any and all comments/recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!:D

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hi and welcome to EBN.

1. I would give her bone. In what shape and form, I don't know what is available for you. I use to give my pup ground bone as part of the meal and some bigger bones to chew. If not ground they should be as big so she can't choke on them. I don't give any oats or any grains. In the beginning chicken and turkey are great, they digest easily. Chickens life span is so short, that in my and many others opinion, their bones have hardly any calcium, so you need introduce other source as well.

2. As food and nutrient source it is not enough to give big bones to chew.

3. I would not give any pig ears. My pup almost choked on one. He's tongue was already blue by the time I fished it out from his throat, VERY scary.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site. I do not raw feed so I am of no help there, but you got some good advice above.

OP
TacorisBulldogs

TacorisBulldogs

Feb 11, 2014
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tacori
Thanks everyone! Thank you so much for the advice! So today we started chopping up the bone and then blending it up in a blender, it actually works pretty well...We will continue to do that until we figure something else out! Thanks again!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Great job! Seeing she's so sound, blending sounds like a good idea. We got our boy when he was 5 months, and by then he was big enough to eat chicken backs and such.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.