Meaty bones.

May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Hi all!

I decided to feed bolota with raw food, I've got some information over the internet, read a lot of articles and stuff.
Well, to be fair the comunity of adepts to raw food is quite big in Brazil, I got really surprised with that, but unfortunately, there are only few people who feed English Bulldogs with raw food over here, so I need you guys! (again) :-)
The English Bulldog Breed always demand some special cares, and I wonder if I have to do anything different about the meaty bones, Im feeding him with chicken necks, just chopped, not grinded. I'm following a diet based on:

50% meaty bones (chicken necks, chicken head without bill, etc...)
15% boneless meat
10% offals
25% Vegetables
Plus some oils and stuff.

Is that allright? What you guys usually feed ur bullies as meaty bones?

Thank you.

Stephan

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no experience w/raw feeding, but I will tag some members that do… You baby is adorable ;)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Unfortunately there is a lot of different info in the internet about raw feeding and everybody is right. In my opinion you could feed less veggies, more meat and more variety of meat and bone. You need to feed at least three different protein sources and preferably three different bone sources as well. I feed mainly differend parts of pork, chicken, turkey and lamb with bone and without too.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hi i would be starting to feed my little guy PMR tomorrow! I'll PM you a great site to start you with. wish me luck for tomorrow! I'm a nervous wreck to tell you the truth! :D

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yes, there are lots of different opinions on the percentages for a BARF diet. The PMR method is more consistent on percentages. So yes, your percentages is alright. You can tweak it as you observe your dog. If the poop seems big or the dog gets yeasty, lower the plant matter content. If the poop is soft, increase the bone content. If the poop is chalky, decrease the bone content. If the dog gets too chubby, lower the serving size. Increase it if he gets too skinny. Etc. etc.

As far as meaty bones... You can give the entire chicken to the dog not just necks and heads. You can also give the whole turkey, the whole rabbit, the whole cornish hen, the whole quail... but when it comes to big animals like cow and pig, then use only the small bones and don't use weight bearing ones. My dogs are experienced raw feeders, so I feel comfortable throwing a meaty pork shoulder and have them work on it for hours... it's a very handy chew toy for them. Then I just throw out what they haven't consumed when they get tired of gnawing at it. The turkey leg is also a chew toy for them but I have found that they can finish a turkey leg after hours of gnawing on it.

Also, you can give fish for oil content.

Good luck!

OP
Stephan Gomes Higuti
May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Thankz a lot!! I'm watching his size and poop as well, so in two weeks time I may change something.
About the meaty bones, I just started with chicken necks, is it ok if in the second weekend I start feeding him also chicken heads?
Im not that confident yet to feed him whole chicken/quails, thats gonna need a little more time! =)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Thankz a lot!! I'm watching his size and poop as well, so in two weeks time I may change something.
About the meaty bones, I just started with chicken necks, is it ok if in the second weekend I start feeding him also chicken heads?
Im not that confident yet to feed him whole chicken/quails, thats gonna need a little more time! =)

Yes on chicken heads, chicken wings, chicken feet even right now - heads and backs and wings and feet are all small bones. Chicken leg/thigh is the biggest bone on a chicken. I gave both my dogs leg and thigh on day 2 with no issues. It took them a while to finish it. But now they can eat leg and thigh in no time. Quail bones is like chicken neck bones - thin bones. My dogs can eat a quail in 10 seconds flat even when they were new at it.

Last edited:
OP
Stephan Gomes Higuti
May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Yeah, I kept the first week only feeding chicken necks as meaty bones, next saturday i shall start heads as well, and slowly going through other things!
So far so good!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.