Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Dumb it down for me on Feeding RAW like what extras are needed for the diet to meet all nutritional needs....

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please Dumb it down for me on Feeding RAW like what extras are needed for the diet to meet all nutritional needs....

Ok. I picked up ground sirloin. Ground chicken. Beef liver and kidney and fresh bone meal from the butcher. I will mix at the ratio. Sound good ?????? By the way they gave me the bone meal for free

Always with me

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please Dumb it down for me on Feeding RAW like what extras are needed for the diet to meet all nutritional needs....

Quote Originally Posted by Bella'sMom View Post
    What organs would be considered secreting?
    The easiest accessible is kidneys. They sell those in the local grocery stores. I'm not sure how it is in the north but down here in the south you'll find things like hog maw, chitterlings, and brains and even something called offal that is a mix of secreting and non-secreting organs and sweetbread that has pancreas.

The Asian stores - especially the Filipino store - is an organs gold mine! They can be pricey though.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bella'sMom View Post
    Ok. I picked up ground sirloin. Ground chicken. Beef liver and kidney and fresh bone meal from the butcher. I will mix at the ratio. Sound good ?????? By the way they gave me the bone meal for free

Sound good! Especially with the free bone meal! W00t!

Just a note on ground meat - it's good... but if your dog can consume non-ground stuff, even better. There are benefits to the chewing and tearing action required to process non-ground food - dental health and mental stimulation. Also, ground meat may have a higher bacteria load because of all that exposed surface area of the meat as opposed to meat chunks.

But, if that's what you're comfortable with - go for it! It's all good!

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

With Bella's enzymes, I thought it would be easier to mix with ground. But i will look into chunks next. Ground beef scared me because of the fat content. So I am just doing trial and error. Thank you so much for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Sound good! Especially with the free bone meal! W00t!

Just a note on ground meat - it's good... but if your dog can consume non-ground stuff, even better. There are benefits to the chewing and tearing action required to process non-ground food - dental health and mental stimulation. Also, ground meat may have a higher bacteria load because of all that exposed surface area of the meat as opposed to meat chunks.

But, if that's what you're comfortable with - go for it! It's all good!

Always with me

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

With Voitto I just mix together 50% bone/meat mix(50/50), 10% organ(of which 50% organ) 30% meat and 10% veggies, tripe or fat. I add kelp, crushed egg shell and some oil. I know that will make 25% bone, but my boys do really well with it. Usko's diet is a bit different, cause of his hyperuricosuria. He doesn't get any organs and doesn't eat his veggies, so he gets his vitamins from the bottle. They also get bone to chew for fun.

Real Name
    Angie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

TY everyone for the additional input, glad I made this post as I can see Miss Bella has been switched ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads