8 week old wanting to switch to instinct RAW...Question on which protein to start him on

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
Hello everyone,
I was a proud owner of a little shih tzu years ago named Newman which I fed RAW to. Well that was when I only had 2 children lol, then I had the time to pre pare daily meals. However today I do not have that kind of time on my hands. Our new guy Mr. Beefy is 8 weeks old, which protein would you suggest I begin him with from the RAW instinct line. TY in advance.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have NO experience w/raw feeding… but I will tag some members who do [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]
Good Luck ;)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i feed Lola raw NVI patties (and alternate with a canadian brand Tollden Farms). I would start on chicken, have your dog adjust for a week or two. As long as you are seeing firm stools, you can move to a second protein, perhaps beef. Let Beefy get used to the second protein, then try to alternate so that he doesnt develop an allergy to one protein. Lola is actually allergic to chicken and get a mild reaction from beef. So we feed mostly venison (which also has lamb in it) and tollden farms boar patties. Many will say that the patties are way expensive (they are) and your dog would benefit greatly from whole model prey or even just raw pieces of meat with bones within it from your butcher, and they are right. However, we are in an apartment with a tiny freezer and we do not have the space for bulk meat purchases. patties it is for us for now, and Lola eats them up like a champ. But if you can get the bulk of your meals of chicken, it will save you tons of money in the future.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sorry, I have no experience on RAW instinct line, but variety is one key to feeding raw to pups.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Aprile above gave you great advice. :yes: I feed whole prey raw and always start with chicken as well.

Welcome and good luck!

OP
Kansascitymama

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
I purchased the Chicken and a trial size of the lamb :). TY so much for your response. I didn't purchase the patties though, I got thesmall bites for now since he is so small. This dude eats like he has never eaten before!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.