Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Hi All, I need some advice ;(

Lola (2 year old) has been on raw patties (NVI, Tollden farms -canadian) for about 8 months with an occasional boar bone. She's allergic to chicken and beef but still gets raw patties occasionally to change it up. NEW to her diet, i gave her some raw pork ribs yesterday morning then raw patty for dinner. At 4am, she began vomiting off and on yellow bile and LARGE sharp bone chips :( This morning she pooped a bit in incriments, and poop is chalky just as I would expect, but the last one was a bit bloody and now with clear liquid. The poo isnt what scares me, its the obscenely large and sharp bone chips that she threw up! Should i take her to the vet because of the possibility of a tear in her digestive system?? She has drank water twice this morning, but does not want food yet understandably.

Thanks for any advice, she i guess is learning how to eat raw raw, not just mush patties. I hope she's ok. she just looks uncomfortable now.
April

i mean these bone chips are LARGE and hard from stomach acid maybe? they look like they've been cooked but were raw on the way in. so sharp, i hope there are no tears.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Hun...no experience here, wanted to say, I'm praying all will be well
w/Lola. More will reply that fed raw to advice you...BIG HUGS for you!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would not be too worried. Her digestive system just isn't use to handling that much bone and she isn't use to chewing them, cause she's been getting her raw in patties. Don't give her any extra bone for awhile and mix some more veggies in her patties to soften her stools.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I have no knowledge, but I just wanted to say that I hope she is feeling better really soon. Poor baby...good luck!

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
thanks for the replies, Lola seems to be better. we got a couple more poops out, and she drank more water and ate a small raw patty and some scrambled eggs. hopefully she keeps it down.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I have no experience with this just wanted to say I am sending prayers hope Lola is on the mend soon!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hoping Lola will continue to feel better. I'm not a raw feeder but what Riikka said above makes a lot of sense. Please keep us updated on Lola!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig does the same with turkey. Pooped and vomited scary bony bits. He's okay. But we've learned that some bones do that. Especially if they're not used to them and given in larger than usual amounts. Riisi gave great advice. I wold do the same.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hope Lola continues to improve, did she keep down her breakfast? I would have been completely freaking out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
YES! she kept breakfast down and took a little nap. now her tail is wagging because my husband just got home from the gym. i hope all continues to go well. i am less worried now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
YES! she kept breakfast down and took a little nap. now her tail is wagging because my husband just got home from the gym. i hope all continues to go well. i am less worried now.

so good to hear she is improving.... I pray it continues for you both

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great news, I hope she keeps getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Have you tried raw chicken? My Angus, I thought, was allergic to chicken (he gets rashes and soft poop with any kibble that has chicken) but when I transitioned to raw, I tried raw chicken and he was perfectly fine with it! It could possibly be that it was some other ingredient in the kibble that he was allergic to and not the chicken like I thought or it could possibly be that he's allergic to the cooked version of chicken but not raw chicken. I'm not sure on this.

I mentioned this because chicken is one of the softest bones and is great for getting them used to processing raw bones. Rabbit is another one but if you don't have a reptile feeder supplier close to you can get expensive. The rabbit in the grocery stores near me is over $6 per pound whereas I can get whole frozen rabbit from the reptile expo for under $1.50 a pound.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.