Raw food = tears, stains, wrinkle problems.

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

I picked up a bunch of chicken white meat, and organs (hearts, liver) with bone, grinded it, and have been feeding to Baxter raw for about 4 days.

For the first time since I've owned him, he has red stains all inside every one of his "folds", and red streaks down from his eyes.

I am not a fan of that. He's been totally fine up until now, when I was only giving him chicken from the store. Maybe its the red organ meat, but it simply does not come off. Im thinking its coming out his pores or something because i wipe his face after every meal, and this stuff does not wipe off.

In addition to this, despite having eaten raw chicken tons of times (from grocery store) he is now farting like insanity. I literally did not experience more than a handful of farts in the 2-3 months I've had him. Yet exactly 4 days ago now he farts nonstop. That tells me that this food is not sitting well with him, and is not "better" than what he was having before.

I understand that raw feeding takes time to adjust, but he's been on raw for awhile. Just not organ meats or bones. Any food that makes him fart, and leaks red stains all over his coat tells me its not benefiting him, but is maybe overkill.

Any advice?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no experience w/raw feeding, but I will tag someone who does... [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So I'm guessing here that he is about 4-5months old...? And you've been feeding him what from since you got him...? What kind of ratio do you feed...meat/organ/bone...? And how much does he weight and how much you feed...?

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

He's exactly 4 months old. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

For about 4-5 weeks prior I have been feeding him raw chicken breast (white meat) ground up with rice (only sometimes).
Also gave him veal a couple times.
Also Turkey a few times. Also Beef.
He tolerated the chicken best, so I stayed with chicken, as I understand you're supposed to start slow, with just one meat.

And as such, I only bought chicken from the meat supplier.

But at no point in the last 5 weeks did he ever get any stains in his creases.
They were remarkably pristine.
I checked often and they didn't even need to be cleaned at all.
Was starting to wonder if I had a unique bulldog, but assumed it was just because he was still a puppy.
No puberty yet. :)

The ratio the raw meat supplier told me was this:

3 lbs of chicken meat and bones (white meats)
8 ounces of chicken liver
8 ounces of chicken hearts.

Grind that up and serve raw.

I just spoke to my breeder and he said "Too many organ meats causes red staining due to excess iron content in the organ meats".

I'd also like to identify the cause of the farts. His 100% lack of farting until 4 days ago meant I was doing something right. (in my mind).

Kevin

Last edited:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
It's totally possible that too much organ is giving him staining. Also, my girl gets REALLY gassy if she gets too much organ. Organ in general just makes them kind of.."loose." I don't feed Delilah as much organ as what's recommended, just because I know she doesn't handle it as well. She still gets it, just not extreme amounts.

It's also highly possible that he's developing an allergy to chicken? If he eats a lot of it. Sometimes certain proteins will cause staining. Delilah does stain a bit with chicken. Granted, not bad. I just have to feed other protein sources as well, mix it up a bit. I clean her out really good every day. The stains aren't bad by any means though..way better than when she ate kibble. That was terrible. I've come to accept that I probably won't be able to totally get rid of the staining. Her coat is immaculate otherwise.

Also. As far as the farting goes. Delilah didn't start doing it much until she hit 5-6 months. You'll be hard pressed to find a bulldog that doesn't fart, LOL. she farts no matter WHAT I feed her. Like I said though, organ makes it worse for her at least.

J and Z

Nov 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beetlejuice
Hello Baxter! Maybe I can be a bit of help, I've been feeding my guy raw since he was 8weeks now 10months it's been very helpful with tremendous results! We no longer feed chicken as he had a hard time keeping it down and it does make him gassy, highly doubt the stains are caused by organ, he might be detoxing our guy had some in the beginning but went away, raw feeding is something that should be slowly introduced and transitioned, there is certain way it should get started with just bone the first week and alternating protein one day and bone the next day keeping a watchful eye on his stool. After we have a nice firm stool you will start to introduce organ and different proteins very slowly a dime size worth of each! Your ratio should be 5%liver 5%organ 10%bone 80%protein always feed liver! I recommend you to start back to basics ! Our results he drinks a lot less water, poops a lot less no scratching or itching and has an amazing shiny coat! I would love to help you and answer the questions I have answers for! Good luck

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I think you're feeding too much organ. For 3 lbs of meat/bone, I only give 2.5 ounces of liver and 2.5 ounces of other secreting organs. Chicken hearts I count as muscle meat not organs, but even then, 8 ounces of liver is a lot for a 3lb meal.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Yes that was the problem. The organ meat.

I have since switched to a pre-made, lightly cooked whole food product called Farm Fresh Pet Food. Its outstanding, and it has the organ meat in it already, in proper ratios.

magnolia

Sep 11, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
magnolia "maggie"
I recently started Maggie on raw. I started with the turkey. Now she has a rash on her stomach and she scratches non stop and has lost a ton of hair....mow whwat

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I recently started Maggie on raw. I started with the turkey. Now she has a rash on her stomach and she scratches non stop and has lost a ton of hair....mow whwat

There's a couple of options. The first is to make sure that the turkey isn't enhanced. It shouldn't be flavoured or seasoned, as what a lot of turkey in the stores are. I usually buy plain utility turkeys for my boys.

The next option is to try a new meat. A lot start with chicken or pork . Make sure it's the only thing Maggie eats, so no treats, fruits, veggies, etc. at least not until we figure out what will suit her. :)

k1ngEr0s

Nov 23, 2013
North Carolina
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Diesel Bon Robbins (Diesel)
I don't know if it will help but I did a whole bunch of research on this stuff and found out I was doing it waaaay wrong. Kale is a biggie regardless though fyi. It is a superfood for dogs as well as humans...Luckily, while at the state fair I came across a small company in North Carolina called "Unleashed." They are kind of like the Whole Foods of animals. Everything is organic, no byproducts, no preservatives, all natural, grain free, not made in china, gluten free, etc. They do not carry any of this and refuse to. I talked with her for a while and explained that I was cooking for my dog because I read so many labels at Petsmart that I might as well have been at the library studying for somekind of dogfood test. She told me the cream of the crop for raw diet was called Answers. There's plain Answers and then there's Answers (detailed) that has everything your puppy would need for growing including kombucha tea. The only thing in my opinion it is missing is kale... It's been working out great for our bully so far. He drinks less and poops once a day and his coat always feels like he's just been bathed. It's crazy the difference that it has made. No skin issues, yeast is going away and so are the tear stains, and he rarely passes gas now. I like the beef or pork. Deez tends to burp up on the chicken. You just have to feed them this slowly because they will swallow it whole! Here's a description off the website.

A full ingredient product: 90% meat, organs and ground bone, 10% whole food ingredients: eggs, vegetables, fish oil, montmorillonite, kombucha, sea salt, and
natural trace minerals.
plus.jpg
No heat processing, no synthetic vitamins, no pressure processing
plus.jpg
No hormones, antibiotics, or growth promotants added . . . EVER!
plus.jpg
Convenient and wholesome with unique formulation
plus.jpg
Environmentally-friendly green packaging

magnolia

Sep 11, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
magnolia "maggie"
I don't know if it will help but I did a whole bunch of research on this stuff and found out I was doing it waaaay wrong. Kale is a biggie regardless though fyi. It is a superfood for dogs as well as humans...Luckily, while at the state fair I came across a small company in North Carolina called "Unleashed." They are kind of like the Whole Foods of animals. Everything is organic, no byproducts, no preservatives, all natural, grain free, not made in china, gluten free, etc. They do not carry any of this and refuse to. I talked with her for a while and explained that I was cooking for my dog because I read so many labels at Petsmart that I might as well have been at the library studying for somekind of dogfood test. She told me the cream of the crop for raw diet was called Answers. There's plain Answers and then there's Answers (detailed) that has everything your puppy would need for growing including kombucha tea. The only thing in my opinion it is missing is kale... It's been working out great for our bully so far. He drinks less and poops once a day and his coat always feels like he's just been bathed. It's crazy the difference that it has made. No skin issues, yeast is going away and so are the tear stains, and he rarely passes gas now. I like the beef or pork. Deez tends to burp up on the chicken. You just have to feed them this slowly because they will swallow it whole! Here's a description off the website.

A full ingredient product: 90% meat, organs and ground bone, 10% whole food ingredients: eggs, vegetables, fish oil, montmorillonite, kombucha, sea salt, and
natural trace minerals.
plus.jpg
No heat processing, no synthetic vitamins, no pressure processing
plus.jpg
No hormones, antibiotics, or growth promotants added . . . EVER!
plus.jpg
Convenient and wholesome with unique formulation
plus.jpg
Environmentally-friendly green packaging
How do you feed the kale? raw and leafy, cooked, or does it come in powder etc...???

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Just some more information for you but my dog didn't do well with chicken at all. So if that's your dogs staple then cut it out. She did fine on chicken for about 4 days, and then she had mud butt for a few days. I switched to pork now as her staple and it's been night and day difference. Something with chicken and English Bulldogs don't mix. If you do some research it's quite a common food intolerance with them, and I think dogs in general..It's funny too because it's usually the first protein that is recommended by most raw feeders. I'm assuming it's because of the price, but honestly if I recommended feeding raw to someones Bulldog I would say start with pork. Pork is probably the most digestible meat offered, and is actually known for aiding in keeping on muscle mass. I believe it's even considered hypoallergenic but I'm not sure how true that is. Once you got nice firm stools, no major gas, a nice coat, and just overall good disposition then try chicken. I'm still scared to offer it to her, but I'm thinking about just using smaller amounts. What I'm tossing around is using chicken backs as bone content, and then pork as the muscle meat. Doing a 4:1 ratio of each(1 being chicken back). Obviously adding in organ meat in there too, but I'm talking just bones and muscle. Anyways, just my two cents!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Great info! My boys do well on chicken. The only exception is chicken from Costco. I'm thinking they put something in it, maybe more salt? There's been a few that didn't do well on it it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Great info! My boys do well on chicken. The only exception is chicken from Costco. I'm thinking they put something in it, maybe more salt? There's been a few that didn't do well on it it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yeah every dog is different I think with how they do. But it is quite a common protein allergy among dogs. In my opinion after transitioning Lilly, chicken should be avoided as a staple for starting new dogs out on raw because of this reason.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online