Scored a freezer at Craigslist that holds 2 months worth of dog food.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
And it's a stand-up one, so I don't have to wait for my husband to put the stuff in the deep chest freezer that I can't reach into (I'm only 5 ft tall). Freezer cost me $100 but it is well worth it! It's over 5 feet tall, so I'm guessing it's 21 cu ft size.

So, I bulk buy'd from the meat shop and got 2 months worth of food for $190 consisting of 6 protein types - beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish. Spent 4 hours chopping it up to fit in single serving containers (I ran out of containers so I used ziploc bags and any other plastic container I could get my hands on) and stacked it up in the new-to-me freezer really easily. I got room for half a month more even.

Sweetness.

1379952837_zpsa743eb72.jpg

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Awesome!! And that looks like a ton for that price!!! We have a stand up for our deer meat sooo much better than the chest freezer you have to dig through!! I don't think I'd ever switch back to a chest type unless I was forced!!!

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
By the way, the meat shop raised their prices. :( Used to be 99c/lb for beef hearts, now it's 1.09. And pork brains was 1.59, now it's 1.79. But last week, Walmart had their chicken leg quarters for $5 for a 10-lb bag. I usually get that from the meat shop at $6.95 so I made out ok. Also important to note that the $24.95 for a 10-lb box of Swai is now farm raised in Vietnam. Not quite sure what to think about that. I haven't done enough research on it.

And I'm bummed that Rodentpro was not at the Reptile show. So, I did not score any rabbits. :(

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
:gimmefood:That's a great score. Great Bully pantry.

That's a great way to think about it! My Bully Pantry! Because, yes, even their treats are in there now. I quit buying dental chew treats. I now give them pork butt bones and unchopped turkey necks to chew on. Their teeth are pearly white! And interestingly, my little bichon can now chomp on turkey necks too. It takes him all day but he loves it.

We're considering rescuing another bullie (trying to work with the homeowner's association who has a rule against it). I'm thinking My Bully Pantry can hold 2 months worth of food for 4 dogs...

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Your freezer is AWESOME! I love how you have all the containers and stuff. I always have to use ziploc bags. I don't have that many containers. lol. Sometimes I'm really good about having meals prepared, other times I have to wing it and go grab crap out of the freezer. I'm trying to be good again. Trying. x.x

I'm getting a freezer from my in-laws soon. As soon as we can carry it out of their basement. I'll be happy to be able to bulk buy again..buying little bits at once and having to use up my only bit of freezer space is frustrating.

But once again..I'm jealous of your freezer! That sounds so weird. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.