Any problem with any of these meats?

B

Baxter Tiberius

So I got Baxter raw pork, salmon, veal, and turkey. Are there any issues with these meats raw? How about their bones?

Thank you.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
with everything I've ever read or heard, you should start with raw chicken for the first two weeks and then transition slowly one at a time

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
If he's been eating raw for a bit, he should be fine. I've fed all of those things to Delilah with no issues.

If he's just starting out though, I'd stick to just one protein source for at least a month. I did chicken. Then start gradually adding in organ meats. It took me awhile to find a good balance of organ for Delilah so that she didn't get the runs.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Pork leg and shoulder bones may be a bit too tough for bullys. I usually let my dogs munch on a pork shoulder like a chew toy and throw away after they get tired of it. All those meats are good after your bully has been on raw for a while. If just starting, then Sherry and Lauren gave excellent advice to start with only one protein source for a few weeks before adding another. It doesn't have to be chicken though. Chicken is just the cheapest and most accessible protein source with relatively soft bones that is good for dogs to "cut their teeth on". Rabbits, quail, cornish hens and the like can also serve the same purpose.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Okay I found a local organic, hormone free, grass fed meat supplier here in Miami!

Question: He gets things like goat tongues, goat hearts, goat liver, goat kidneys, and pork spleens.

Is it an "anything goes" type situation? The breeder said all those things are great. Just wanted to check with you all.

I will be grinding everything I can.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Okay I found a local organic, hormone free, grass fed meat supplier here in Miami!

Question: He gets things like goat tongues, goat hearts, goat liver, goat kidneys, and pork spleens.

Is it an "anything goes" type situation? The breeder said all those things are great. Just wanted to check with you all.

I will be grinding everything I can.

Whoa! I gotta go to Miami! It's anything goes but in the right proportion. Prey-model raw goes by the philosophy that dogs naturally eat off a carcass at the 80-10-5-5 ratio of Meat-Bones-Liver-Other Secreting Organs. Whole rabit has this ratio that includes all its bones and all its innards. Tongue, heart, gizzards - they're organs but considered muscle meat.

And I don't grind anything. I don't even need to chop anything except that I like using single-serve containers so it is easy for the husband and kids to feed the dogs. They are used to the scoop and pour kibble method so they refuse to slice off an approximate amount of meat and bones and organs off the whole turkey in the fridge to feed the dogs. They'd rather take one container, plop the contents into the dog dish and call it a day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.