Bought a Grinder

B

Baxter Tiberius

Sooo I have a grinder on the way, and I was watching my breeders "technique" on youtube - he pretty much feeds chicken backs and heads and beeks and feet into a meat grinder, and it comes out in little bits, into a big bowl. then he adds a bunch of veggies and whatnot. Is it as simple as that?

Where would you guys recommend I get the chickens?

What if I wanted to splurge on organic / steroid free, etc stuff? Whole foods is highway robbery. Possible to find that outside of a crappy "processed foods" grocery store?

Do you use beef ever?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
*gagging* :barf: Sorry I am so glad I personally know the butcher here in town I don't think I could do that myself. I have considered going raw and I have even gone so far as thinking about using deer meat.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

LOL do what? the grinding? I can stomach it I hope.
The breeder had whole chicken heads going in though.
I dont want to deal with that. But to grind up the bone and stuff - apparently very healthy / useful.

Where do I get this stuff?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It's really not quite as simple as that...you should feed at least 3 different animal meats. Preferably bone matter from 3 different sources as well. Chicken don't live so long that their bones have enough calsum to be the only source. Dogs need red meat too and organs. Plain chicken lacks a LOT of nutrients and I wouldn't even use it as a base.
I use...different parts (meat, bone and organ) from beef, pork, turkey, chicken, lamb, horse, reindeer (just got some ostrich) eggs (with shell), kelp and I'm sure I forgot something...

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is spot on. I stay completely away from chicken . Currently my freezer is stocked with ground quail w/bone, ground venison w/bone, ground beef w/bone, ground duck w/bone, and ground turkey w/bone. The fruits and veggies don't do a whole lot as the dog can't process them u less they are first frozen and then puréed. You need organ suck as liver, kidney, spleen, tripe. I too purchased a grinder and was grinding my own food- it gets tire some and unless you spent $900+ on a grinder it can be a real pain in the @$$, simply because most grinders can't get the job done. I spent $300 on a grinder from amazon that had stellar reviews- I went through two units in less than six months. Then I joined a local co-op and found a supplier that has everything a raw feeder could ever want and they offer proteins ground with bone. I pay about $1.50 per pound. As far as the organic movement- I fully back this and yes there is a difference. I can't see sped ing double the cost. I am lucky enough to have meat packers locally and even getting the organic stuff from the source is uber expensive- especially that I'm feeding two bullies. Even sourcing direct my cost would be about $5 per pound- no yanks my dogs do just fine on regular stuff. I constantly get comments on how silky there fur is. I almost ever have to clean their ears, baths are minimal. I supplement with salmon oil, probiotic-digestive enzymes, apple cider vinnegar, coconut oil, I was using a multi vitamin but recently stopped as I didn't notice a difference. I might start again for a month too gauge if I see a difference. But with the right mix of proteins and organs a multivitamin isn't needed. Good luck

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

I have no idea where to get all this stuff.
@Scueva
etc

Plus I live in a condo tower so I dont have a garage I can toss an extra freezer in. Am i toast? :p

Is baxter toast? Will he die of malnutrition?! :bad::p

I planned to use more than one meat ultimately. And i did research on grinders (the ones that can truly handle bones aren't on amazon for less than $500).

Im moreso wondering where to get the meats and whatnot, without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=8322]baxter[/MENTION]tiberius - I too live in a condo in a high rise! I found an upright freezer on craiglist for $50. It's a little bigger than a mini fridge. I manage to find a corner for it and I put a bunch of bulldog photos and photos of cuts if meat like you would see at a butcher- I dunno it works. I beleive I sent you a link once before via pm of co-op in your area. Google "yahoo barf groups" in your area or "yahoo raw feeding " in your area. I remember there was quite a few. Rawpaws.org or mypetcarnivore.com are a couple suppliers in my area. Check out their websites and maybe even contact them to see if they have any connects in your area.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have no idea where to get all this stuff.
@Scueva
etc

Plus I live in a condo tower so I dont have a garage I can toss an extra freezer in. Am i toast? :p

Is baxter toast? Will he die of malnutrition?! :bad::p

I planned to use more than one meat ultimately. And i did research on grinders (the ones that can truly handle bones aren't on amazon for less than $500).

Im moreso wondering where to get the meats and whatnot, without breaking the bank.

When I was feeding raw, I used a $130 grinder , meat must be 75% frozen to go through grinder well. go slow, don't force let the grinder do the work, I started off with exclusive protein ; chicken legs , breast, necks and backs the first two weeks also added fresh veggies 1 at a time broccoli and green beans, sweet pot,
I used a meat cleaver to chop the meat up when in the case frozen, of course I needed a freezer with 5 dogs. then I added beef heart , pork tenderloin , beef liver in small amounts, turkey, fish, for bone I used chicken and or pork . I also added enzymes , probiotics and fish oil or coconut oil

this was my process station, my kitchen table
photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpgphoto (4).jpgphoto.jpg

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] I had the same grinder except the "upgraded" model with forced air induction. It got to be a pain- I do use the grinder to make homemade sausage so not a total waste. Much easier for me to buy meat pre-ground with bone, but if i had 5 dogs I would still grind myslef as cost would be a factor. 2 bully's and a Chihuaha currently eat 100Lb per month at $1.5 per LB - manageable- 5 dogs holy crap it's a small fortune!

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I wonder if our local butcher did something like this if not maybe I can get him to

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

tekstrand24

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
[MENTION=7924]tekstrand24[/MENTION] what do they cost? How many LB do you consumer per month?

It's about $3.50 to $6.00 a pound depending on the meat you get. The offer chicken, turkey, duck, beef, and bison. The bison is the most expensive. I do a equal combo of the chicken, turkey, duck, and bison. Winston eats 1lb in the morning and 1lb at night. The meet is all human grade and the veggies are organic. It has kept him really lean and healthy. I don't have enough time to grind it myself so this is a great alternative.

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It almost looks like the packaging for MRE's

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online