Poop Problems

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hello!

Otis has been eating raw (just chicken for now) for 11 days. I was feeding him a chicken leg quarter twice a day, but his stool was pure liquid. So I started adding more bones. The whole day he'd eat a chicken back and a quarter leg (split in 2 meals), but then he became constipated. So today I gave him 2 thighs and a drum stick, and some pumpkin for breakfast....and now his stool is projectile! Dinner he had 1 thigh and probably half a chicken back.

I can't seem to find the right balance for him. Am I doing something wrong??

:poo:

Last edited:

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Hey there!....Well, the vet see here, specializes in bull dogs, when i went to see him about Harleys allergies. He gave me a pamphlet designed by him ( and speaks all over educating Bulldoggers and the first thing is no chicken and no pig or lamb..Alot of people are very happy with raw diets, I totally respect your choice, just here to share some ...I give Harley a little bit of sweet potato, i microwave a whole sweet potato and just crumble into his grain free food (bison as the protein) sometimes they just need to adjust. A little bit goes a long way. Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, sorry I'm no help with raw feeding, but there are members on here who can answer your questions, I'm sure they'll be along soon. Just wanted to wish you luck in finding the right balance of protein. It's a lot of trial and error when it comes to finding the right proteins, amounts and balance in what ever method we choose to feed our babies, whether it be raw, kibble, or home cooked. I have a female named Blossom, and she has a lot of allergies and sensitivities, so we switched 4 times before we found the right protein and brand that she could tolerate. We tried Fromms Beef Frittata, and have stayed with this brand for the last 10 months, and she is doing really well on it. Good luck

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Hello!

Otis has been eating raw (just chicken for now) for 11 days. I was feeding him a chicken leg quarter twice a day, but his stool was pure liquid. So I started adding more bones. The whole day he'd eat a chicken back and a quarter leg (split in 2 meals), but then he became constipated. So today I gave him 2 thighs and a drum stick, and some pumpkin for breakfast....and now his stool is projectile! Dinner he had 1 thigh and probably half a chicken back.

I'm no help but I do want to encourage you to stick with it. There have been so amazing results with a raw diet so give it some time and keep asking questions!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What do you mean by constipated?? He didn't poo? He strained to poo??

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
@RiiSi Yes, he would strain and when he finally went poo, it would be about the size of a peach pit and only bone. In the middle of the night he vomited all his dinner up twice and it had a lot of white foam.

@christyjulene Thank you for your encouragement. I was so ready to throw in the towel last night, but I know it won't make anything better for him.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hello!

Welcome to EBN...I don't feed raw (hope too one day) so I don't know much except what
I read here. I do know that when feeding chicken you want to make sure it is not 'enhanced
chicken' which will say on the pkg. Enhanced chicken is syringed full of sodium & chemicals,
not good for bullies OR humans. These raw feeders here will help you and good for you to do
this for your Otis...GOD bless you & yours! Carol

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
The amount of poo is a lot less when feeding raw, so peach pit isn't really too little...When there's too much bone poo turns to almost dust like and crumples. Also straining a bit isn't bad for him, that causes the anal glands to empty, so you don't have to empty them, not bad.... Give him some pro-and prebiotics to help digestion and just hang in there, it will be better in no time.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
The amount of poo is a lot less when feeding raw, so peach pit isn't really too little...When there's too much bone poo turns to almost dust like and crumples. Also straining a bit isn't bad for him, that causes the anal glands to empty, so you don't have to empty them, not bad.... Give him some pro-and prebiotics to help digestion and just hang in there, it will be better in no time.

Okay, I'll increase his bone again and add the pre/pro-biotics (is there a special doggy brand, or can use the same vitamins as humans). Right now his stool is just shooting out of him and it's all liquid. I thought the straining was hurting him, but I'm glad it's normal. Thank you!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
There's doggy brands, but you can use human grade as well. In the multivitamin department I would use doggy brands, but with pro-and prebiotics it doesn't really matter.

Okay, I'll increase his bone again and add the pre/pro-biotics (is there a special doggy brand, or can use the same vitamins as humans). Right now his stool is just shooting out of him and it's all liquid. I thought the straining was hurting him, but I'm glad it's normal. Thank you!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Each bulldog is different. However, there are many major similarities among ALL bulldogs. One of the biggest is Chicken as a protein. Certainly most members would agree with avoiding chicken in dog foods. And there are members who will agree with the use of raw feeding as a better choice than kibbled. And in-between there are the vast majority.

The history from the decades in the past of bulldog breeders who only had the choice of chicken or beef to feed before dry dog food was invented, chicken was cheaper to feed than beef. Hince, bulldogs were feed chicken as the main and often only source of protein. Inferior quality of chicken, often farm raised, created a sensativity for skin and GI systems. FAST forward to modern times. LOTS of top brands that have proteins other than chicken, by-products or meal as main ingredient and on the list of foods there are 4 and 5 star that work for vast majority of dogs.

Back to raw diet.
Balancing the right amount of parts and pieces is a trail and error. The natural chicken is better than the processed variety. The use of limited other ingredients such as sweet potato can help in the balance of the processing. The problem with diarahia is the amount of water loss due to excess watery poo. Just like in people and children, the loss of electrolityes is a major issue.

Stay in touch and be vigilant to watch for problems. Any feeding changes need to be done slowly and doumented.

Good Day~

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hello,

Each bulldog is different. However, there are many major similarities among ALL bulldogs. One of the biggest is Chicken as a protein. Certainly most members would agree with avoiding chicken in dog foods. And there are members who will agree with the use of raw feeding as a better choice than kibbled. And in-between there are the vast majority.

The history from the decades in the past of bulldog breeders who only had the choice of chicken or beef to feed before dry dog food was invented, chicken was cheaper to feed than beef. Hince, bulldogs were feed chicken as the main and often only source of protein. Inferior quality of chicken, often farm raised, created a sensativity for skin and GI systems. FAST forward to modern times. LOTS of top brands that have proteins other than chicken, by-products or meal as main ingredient and on the list of foods there are 4 and 5 star that work for vast majority of dogs.

Back to raw diet.
Balancing the right amount of parts and pieces is a trail and error. The natural chicken is better than the processed variety. The use of limited other ingredients such as sweet potato can help in the balance of the processing. The problem with diarahia is the amount of water loss due to excess watery poo. Just like in people and children, the loss of electrolityes is a major issue.

Stay in touch and be vigilant to watch for problems. Any feeding changes need to be done slowly and doumented.

Good Day~

never knew that about chicken and beef from breeders way back when. Good to know why so many bulldogs have a sensitivity to chicken.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hello!

throwing up is completely normal on raw when initially starting and sometimes they will do it when they are given a new protein- they say it is ok for them to eat it up again but I think that is gross and don't let mine do that. My little guys threw up Sunday- we just switched to a new protein - whole ground duck.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Oi vey. What a night. Otis kept having to go outside every 2-3 hours from 1:30am-10am, he only had one accident and I'm assuming it was my fault for not being awake. I didn't feed him breakfast because I read that you should fast them when you have issues like that. I'm assuming chicken is out. His fur is thinning, he's got "dandruff", and the poops are unbelievable. So I bought beef stew to give him for dinner, and beef ribs.....but the beef ribs seemed too hard for him so I gave him a bit of chicken backs I still had, just so we (hopefully) didn't have a repeat of last night.

Should I stick with the beef? What kind of meaty bones are okay for dogs?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online