Does this mix of raw sources sound right?

Belvedere

Feb 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Belvedere
Hello again all,

I am thrilled that I found a local raw feeding co-op and have found some great deals on locally sourced, pasture raised, grass fed raw meats.

I am still fairly new to this, so wanted to get your opinion(s) on what I am planning on ordering:

25 lbs ground beef w/o bone
25 lbs ground lamb w/o bone
10 lbs organ mix
30 lbs turkey necks

This makes up 90 lbs of food, lasting approx 45-55 days of food for my 8 month old Belvedere.

If I feed him these ingredients over that time period, will this be balanced enough? I figured that I would feed approx. 1 lb meat(beef or lamb), .75 lb turkey necks and .25 lb of organ mix per day.

Also, any suggestions for veggies that are the least likely to cause issues that I can add to the mix? He is does not currently have any veggie supplements with his meals, but I feel like maybe I should give him a bit? How do you all do the veggie thing?

Thanks!!!

Carmen

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Congrats on going raw. Veggies aren't necessary- dogs can't break them down like us so in order for him to get benefit you would have to purée them then his body would be able to absorb the nutrients. You sound like you are on the right track with your mixture. I would start with the turkey neck wait for him to have normal poop- IDE say about a week, then I would add the beef, wait a couple more weeks until his poop is normal: I would add organs or multiple proteins for about a month. Duchess is 16 months and been on raw since 16 weeks and duke is 19 weeks and been on raw since 12 weeks. Let me know if you have any questions!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Does raw cost more or less in the long run?

After joint a local co-op my overall food cost for 2 bully and a Chihuaha is about $1.75 per pound. Which equates to about $180 per month. Not to mention the added benefits- no skin issues- no smelly dogs- I hardly ever have to bathe my dogs.

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
I'd love to move to raw some day! My studio apartment doesn't really have a place for me to prepare it or store it or afford it! But I would love to do that someday!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with [MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION], but if you decide to do without pureed veggies give tripe, maybe pigs pharynx, fat and such that have less protein in them. And do start with one ingredient and add more after a period of one week or so just give him time to adjust. And also in my opinion turkey necks don't have enough bone to give enough calsium in the long run. If you're not planning on giving anythingg else with real bone you should add crushed eggshells to his diet or the whole egg once or twice a week....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.