Otis is Eating Raw!

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
I started him this morning with chicken leg quarters. And if I didn't grab it from his mouth he would have swallowed it whole!! He finally bit the drum stick off, swallowed the the thigh part, then just swallowed the drum stick. I'm pretty sure that's not normal since he didn't even crunch the bones! He seems fine...but I'm a bit worried. Especially when it's time to be pooped out! Is there anything I can do to make him chew?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Don't worry, he will pass it or throw it up...You can try to hold on to it (watch your fingers) and try to control his pace, but it just IS so delicious compared to the dry kibble....or you can even cut the drumsticks to pieces with siccors...

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
He absolutely loved it!! He wouldn't stop licking it as I ripped it from his mouth.

I thought he was suppose to chew the bones to help his teeth? Will he learn eventually?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe maybe not... but for teeth cleaning purposes you need to get him the BIG bones that he will not swallow, but just chew.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Ah okay, thank you!

As long as the way he's eating is normal, I'm okay with it.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Also raw is better for the teeth because it doesn't have unnecessary carbs and starch that clings to the teeth. Ofcourse he would also benefit from chewing his food, but for some it can take time to learn. You can help him by getting him pieces that are just too big to swallow.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
that's awesome, [MENTION=8581]Shahster[/MENTION]! looking forward to hearing how Otis' raw feeding goes in the coming weeks. Sounds like he's taken to it very well so far.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I had a couple choking scares with duchess when I first put her on raw- after that all her food is ground - I bought a grinder and ground everything myself- this was alot of work- thankfully I have since goin a source through my local co-op that's sells everything ground- it's a touch more per LB but for me it's worth it. I do still buy the both of them raw meaty bones as a Sunday afternoon treat- this past Sunday they had lamb femurs- they both worked on them for like 4 hours and the. Literally passes out on the spot from exhaustion- it was very funny

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Aw that's kind of cute. I'm going to try to explore the butchers around here and see what I can get for him once he's settled on the diet.

He was much better for dinner...regurgitated a couple times but he's alright.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online