need help with proportions

Belvedere

Feb 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Belvedere
Hi, I have been feeding prepackaged raw for a month or so now and want to transition to making my own - but not grinding my own. So what I have is 4 pounds ground turkey necks, 2 lbs green tripe and 2 lbs ground organ meat (turkey heart, gizzards and livers). I am wanting to make patties. My boy Belvedere eats 1 lb of prepackaged raw per day now. He is 8 months old.

Any advice on how much of each I should include proportion- wise and anything that I am missing? He is a veggie- free guys so I will not be adding veggies or grains.

Thanks!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Welcome to EBN.
I feed veggies aswell so my proportions are a bit different. It is adviced that you feed at least 3 different protein sources, but if you're starting with those ingredents I would feed 50% turkey necks, 10% organs of which about less than half liver, (I don't consider gizzards and heart organs, but meat) 10-20% heart and gizzards, 30-20% tripe. An egg with the shell a couple of times a week is also good. I also add different oils, kelp, and probiotics to my puppys mix.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi and welcome! Just need a little clarification ... Are you getting someone to grind them, or did you want to transition to whole pieces? As for proportions, it's normally 80-10-10. So 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organs. Heart, in raw feeding sense, is considered a meat, and not an organ. If you choose liver as the organ, it should only take up a max of 5% of the diet, and not the full 10%. It's very rich, which is the reason it should be limited.

Keep in mind that the 80-10-10, are only general numbers and doesn't work for everyone. I know one of my boys need to have more bone content than others or he'll get runny stools.

its also good to add salmon or fish oil daily, if he doesn't get much fish. This is to balance the omega 6 that's found in the meat.

OP
B

Belvedere

Feb 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Belvedere
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]:

I am not planning on grinding myself. My local pet food store has all of these ingredients ground. I plan on looking for other sources that are less expensive but for now, this is all I can handle. And it is quite a bit cheaper than the prepared patties.

Thank you so much for the advice!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]:

I am not planning on grinding myself. My local pet food store has all of these ingredients ground. I plan on looking for other sources that are less expensive but for now, this is all I can handle. And it is quite a bit cheaper than the prepared patties.

Thank you so much for the advice!

Oh! Gotcha! Riisi gave you great advice then. I would personally see if your bully can handle less turkey bone @ 50%. But other than that and to remember to give only a small amount of organs, you're good go!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2 :D

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Well that's the funny thing about raw...there are many ways of doing it, but all of them emphasise on how you're supposed to modify the diet according to the dogs reactions. Some say that you should feed even 60-70 % meaty bones, but meaty bones should be just that, meaty...50% meat 50% bone. Then it adds up to 30-35%bone. If I would feed that much bone to my dogs they would poo dust, but evidently it works for some. Turkey neck is about 50/50, but it isn't all bone, but also a lot of cartilage and cartilage hasn't got that much calsium in it. So if all your bone comes from chicken or turkey and you feed only 10% bone you need to add calsium.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I have seen so many dogs health improve when their owners change to raw but it does take extra time, prep and education.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Doesnt 1lb of food per day seems on the light side for an 8 month old male? [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]. My 16 month female eats 1lb a day and she's lean and weighs 51lb- my male is now 18 weeks and he eats 2lb per day. [MENTION=8236]Belvedere[/MENTION] try to find local raw co-ops in your area- I was using localStores at first then a member told me to google co-ops and my cost went down from about $2.50 per LB to .50 per LB. I too started on pre packed raw- I did natures variety which ran about $5-$6 per LB , then I started buying meat at local butchers and meat packing companies- then I went to the co-op which is amazing. With 2 bully's and a Chihuaha my pack eats about 100LB per month - it adds up fast

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
My 8m old male eats about 1,5lbs/day and my adult bully of 61 lbs eats 1,8lbs/day, but it is all down to the bully at hand...if it's too skinny...more food..

OP
B

Belvedere

Feb 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Belvedere
I agree that 1 lb of raw is a bit low. He actually gets 1 cup of kibble right before bed because he tends to get a sour tummy at night. I actually upped his raw intake this morning because he is seeming to need it. He's 42 pounds this morning - up from 40 a few weeks ago so he seems to be growing well.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
My guys eat just a little over a pound. Punkin tends to put on weight because he's not that active. We also try to keep him on the lean side due to his legs. We can give Stiggy a little bit more in the winter months when he goes to daycare regularly.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.