Raw feeding resulting in bloody poop

Rudi Lim

Jun 27, 2013
Hi, I am new to this forum and I actually own a French bulldog instead. As I was introduced to this site to read on raw feeding. My dog is 6 months old, he has skin problem and i have tried a few brands of dry food but the condition didnt get any better. I went straight to feeding 100% raw. I started with chicken wings and breast meat. The poop turned a little runny and on the second day I realized some blood in the stool. And this is the 3rd day the condition worsened. But the skin condition has actually improved. Should I switch back to kibble for the time being and see if the poop gets better before going into raw feed again?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372791741.790672.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I will tag a few members who are very experienced in raw feeding. It might take a bit for them to check in..but they will! Did you know we also have a Frenchie forum? You can find a link to it on the Forum page. You're welcome here of course...but just in case you're interested! :)

[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION].. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi!! I think I referred you over here! (I'm bullmama on FBN)

I think it's normal for there to be some adjustments in the poo, but let me tag [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] to serif they can give you some pointers. I think it will be less bone but not sure.

Glad to hear the skin is improving I such a short time!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi!! I think I referred you over here! (I'm bullmama on FBN)

I think it's normal for there to be some adjustments in the poo, but let me tag @RiiSi @savemejeebus @Sherry to serif they can give you some pointers. I think it will be less bone but not sure.

Glad to hear the skin is improving I such a short time!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Dohhhhhhhhhh!
There I go again! Lol

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
The blood is bright red so it's most likely from bone that has not digested enough and is irritating the anus and that can happen in the beginning. Give him some pro-and prebiotics and stick with the raw. If you can get the chicken grinded it can help the digestive system to get used to bone in the beginning.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The blood is bright red so it's most likely from bone that has not digested enough and is irritating the anus and that can happen in the beginning. Give him some pro-and prebiotics and stick with the raw. If you can get the chicken grinded it can help the digestive system to get used to bone in the beginning.

I agree with what Riisi said. Bright red means some sort of irritation at the very end. Have you noticed if there's still small pieces of bone in his stool? It happened to both my boys while they were first introduced to raw. Eventually, their digestive systems adjusted and stools went back to normal.

Glad the diet worked for your french bully! It did wonders to my allergy-prone boys.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi, I am new to this forum and I actually own a French bulldog instead. As I was introduced to this site to read on raw feeding. My dog is 6 months old, he has skin problem and i have tried a few brands of dry food but the condition didnt get any better. I went straight to feeding 100% raw. I started with chicken wings and breast meat. The poop turned a little runny and on the second day I realized some blood in the stool. And this is the 3rd day the condition worsened. But the skin condition has actually improved. Should I switch back to kibble for the time being and see if the poop gets better before going into raw feed again?

View attachment 47344

Hi and welcome to the site. yep that's normal in the begining , stick with the raw. If the blood were dark that would mean problem up in the digestive track but it's bright red and fresh which means its near the anus where some bone hasn't completely digested, and that's normal for the first couple weeks.

OP
R

Rudi Lim

Jun 27, 2013
Oh hi dessertskybulldogs aka bullmama, thank you for introducing this site to me, it has been a great help!!

Riisi, I would not be able to get bones grounded over here. Would I be able to feed just meat while I compensate calcium intake with calcium pills?

Savemejebus, there were no bones in the poop. The picture I showed is the only thing that came out of him.

Thank you Riisi, dessertskybulldogs, savemejebus and Sherry for the advices. I will stick to the raw feed. Just that whenever I see blood in the poop my heart just aches. I hope my dog is not suffering. :D

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I wouldn't. How is he going to get use to eating bone if not by eating bone????

Would I be able to feed just meat while I compensate calcium intake with calcium pills?

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
So glad I found this thread. Otis (finally) had a normal-ish poop. Lots of mucus, a bone about the 3 cm long and blood. I was so worried!! Glad it's normal. :pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online