Allergic to chicken or maybe poultry?

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
I started my 2 on complete raw meals. Tried salmon beef and chicken. The chicken caused their poops to be very hard and they seemed to be itching, so I took chicken out and kept them on beef and salmon and no problems. The store I bought the food from closed their doors and I had to find another retailer. I managed to find a farm that supplied raw and she suggested I try her chicken ground, as there was probably too much bone in the other one I tried. So, for the first week they suggested I try chicken, pork and beef ground and mix with offal and tripe. Both my dogs are itching and licking their paws.

So for the 2nd week, she suggested I eliminate chicken and sub with duck. How long before I know if it was the chicken? I'm afraid the duck and turkey could be causing the itching as well. And if it is all poultry, how would they get the vitamins that the bones provide? Mine can only have ground, as they threw up the times I tried chunks/pieces of protein.

Help please!
:confused:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
from what i learned from the very educated food buyer at global pet foods here in Toronto, duck is not considered part of the chicken family...its with quail or something and pheasant. give it a try! we are feeding Lola raw medallions from nvi and this Canadian company. i think Lola is allergic to beef and chicken, but chicken in kibble form, having not tried raw chicken. we are on venison, rabbit, and salmon.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi! :wave: The easiest way to figure out what Chancho and Lola are allergic to is doing the elimination diet. This is where you'd feed only 1 type of protein a day, nothing mixed. For example, feed duck, and only duck, for a few days and see how they're doing with that. If their stools are normal and they don't have the itchies, then they're not allergic. Also, don't feed anything else as well, including treats, or supplements, everything must eat strictly duck.

Don't worry if they can't consume chicken bones ... they can get their bone requirements from somewhere else. And Aprile is correct in what she said above. Although chicken and duck look similar, they're have different make-ups protein-wise.

OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Thank you for the tips. So would that be strictly the duck ground, beef ground etc? Right now I was told to mix the ground with tripe and offal? Do I stop the tripe and offal, or that wouldn't matter?
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thank you for the tips. So would that be strictly the duck ground, beef ground etc? Right now I was told to mix the ground with tripe and offal? Do I stop the tripe and offal, or that wouldn't matter?
@savemejeebus

Yes, it would be best to stick with one type only. For the time being anyways until you figure out what they're allergic to. I wouldn't add the offal until way later as well. You don't need to follow the 80-10-10 recommendation in the beginning. It won't harm them. I'd find the correct balance for them first, then add organs later. For the tripe, you can add it if you're feeding beef.

OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Thanks!

whizza

Jul 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Just saw this Newbie. Hope your still checking the site. I'm pretty confident I can help you. I have a 5 year old male English named Otis. He's a smaller, (55 lbs.) guy with ridiculous energy. He loves hiking and swimming. A great pal. I had a lot of issues with him in the diet department however, until just this past year. There was a lot of shedding, bad to horrific gas and an unrelenting yeast problem that I didn't connect to diet but rather to moisture and such getting into the nose rope fold. I tried every kind of high quality kibble. Finally after researching the issue endlessly, I saw that it wasn't all that uncommon to see chicken (and/or all poultry) be the allergen. A bell went off and I realized that I always went with chicken in all of the kibbles I had tried in the past. I decided to cut out all chicken and chicken ingredients from his meals and treats. I found "Solid Gold" brand food, and have been using both their "Barking at the Moon" and their "Millenium" kibbles. The yeast has disappeared as has the gas and the shedding's been cut down by at least 50%. I can't believe the difference it made in him. Both of these kibbles use beef and ocean fish meal as the primary source of protein along with some other simple ingredients. I give him a cup in the morning with a dab of plain yogurt on top and a couple of baby carrots thrown in for variety and the same at night. Watch for chicken in treats as well. Chicken meal etc. I'm no vet and I can't say for certain, but I can't recommend trying this route enough. You can get Solid Gold at Pet Co and a few other places. Give it a shot and let me know how you make out. Good luck and Cheers!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.