Not eating enough?

roland008

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ogrimmar
So I have read that puppies are supposed to eat 10% of there current body weight or 2-3 percent of their ideal adult weight. My bulldog who is 3 months old seems to be eating only a half to three quarters of that. I had previously posted that he was having trouble chewing up the food. This seems to have improved since I cut the meat and bones up a little for him prior to feeding him. I primarily feed him chicken. I occasionally through in some pork necks which he seemed to like better. He recently started to not want to eat. He only eats small amounts of what I put out for him. I even tried putting peanut butter on the chicken to get him to eat it. I am at a loss. Why won't he eat. Is it possible that that 2-3 percent of his ideal adult body weight is in fact too much for him. Should I just let him not eat and assume he is telling me his full and just let it go?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
HMMMMM when I was feeding raw, I weighed everything out. I also ground all the bone which is way too time consuming. Anyhow, my 50 to 65 pound bully's would eat 1-1/2 pounds of raw a day, my 100 pound American bully would eat 2 pounds a day. not as much as you would think

also if he's still gaining weight and looking good he's not broke

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Unless he starts to get skinny I wouldn't worry. Maybe try some different meat sources and see if his appetite picks up at all. I give my bullies fish every once and awhile just for a change from their usual meats (pork, chicken, beef).

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I normally sear the skin of their chicken since I know I like it better that way! But just the skin so as not to affect the integrity of the bones. I also often season their food with spices (no salt or sugar) and they also love dried parsley. I'll also give them whole grains (cooked in broth) and cooked sweet potatoes, stuff like that for variety, but not every day. I found they didn't eat 10% of their puppy weight, they ate less. It could also depend on his activity level. Both my ladies will walk away if they get full.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.