Raw Feeding Troubles.

roland008

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ogrimmar
I just recently got my bulldog puppy he is 9 1/2 weeks old. I am doing the raw diet because I believe this is a very good idea. My brother just got a great dane puppy about the same age and she seems to be more fascile with eating the meat and crunching the bone. It seems that my bulldog takes twice the time to eat half as much(size comparative of course). hHe seems to have trouble especially with chicken skin. Is there anybody here that has run into this problem and could give me any insights.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would just take the skin off at this point. You can also break the bones for him ahead of time or get him some smaller cuts of meat that the bones are thinner and easier to chew.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I just recently got my bulldog puppy he is 9 1/2 weeks old. I am doing the raw diet because I believe this is a very good idea. My brother just got a great dane puppy about the same age and she seems to be more fascile with eating the meat and crunching the bone. It seems that my bulldog takes twice the time to eat half as much(size comparative of course). hHe seems to have trouble especially with chicken skin. Is there anybody here that has run into this problem and could give me any insights.

I personally would feed him puppy food or kibble until he is at least 3-4 months. Raw food I hear is amazing, but growing puppies really need certain nutrients. Can any foodie experts weigh in?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
when I was feeding raw, I was grinding my chicken, bone and all, It was a lot of work having multiple dogs, they can eat it faster that's for sure. risk of choking is nil to 0 . a simple electric grinder purchased through Ebay did the trick, 1.5 hp coarse grind

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Considering he's still so young I would either give him ground or a really easy bone to chew such as a duck wing. You can also take the skin off since it really may be too chewy,

When my boys first started eating raw, stiggy was 7 months and Punks was 4 years, it took them a few meals before getting the hang of it. Punkin still takes a while to finish sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2 :D

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I forgot to add, that you can also try cutting the food up for him and add an easily breakable bone ... if you don't want to go the ground route for now.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My experience with feeding raw to under 6-month-old puppies is from when I was still in the Philippines. In the Philippines, we just put a whole hunk of meat straight from the butcher, put it on the ground for all the dogs to eat. Yep, including puppies. So, yeah, they get to compete with the grown-ups for food and they do just fine. In the Philippines, we didn't worry about things as much as we just let nature take its course. Probably a cultural thing. But yeah, I'm not going to do that now. If I had a little puppy, I'd do meat chunks and softer bones like chicken necks and wings and give bigger bones like thighs for chew toys.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
What are you feeding him, legs and thighs? Those will be too big for him at this age so start off start off with wings and necks, cut up hearts and kidneys, and a vitamin as well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online