Having trouble with organs....

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Well the title says its all. Lilly eats it all with the gusto but whenever there are organs her crap is so disgustingly watery, and to me that's not a good thing. I read online that it's normal if they're eating organs for the poo to be a little runny, but it's just gross and I don't think any animal should be pooping like this. I tried feeding a little bit at a time, and no matter what she always seemed to have an issue. I also don't have all this time to be figuring out the perfect amount to feed her. It's always a guessing game.

Anyway, a while back she was getting these dehydrated organ treats from a store not too far from here. They had kidney, liver, hearts, and all other kinds of stuff in them. They were a disc like shape too so you could break them up a bit to make them last longer. When she was getting these treats her poops were never once runny, or anything close to it. So it got me wondering that maybe it's the high moisture content of the organs that liquefies her poo.

So, what I was thinking of doing was maybe getting a cheap grinder and grinding up pork liver, heart, and kidney and attempting to make the same thing basically. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this, or can maybe give me some suggestions on how I could do it. I'm trying to figure out how I can kinda give them a shape so to speak. I'm going to buy a dehydrator but don't know what to do with the organ slop to make it take a shape. What could I pour the slop into that will make little organ cookies?

I feel like this would be great way to get organ meat into our dogs with out giving them diarrhea. I read a lot of posts about dogs with similar problems, so to me this could be a great way to get the raw nutrients into my dog without having to constantly keep watching her poops...Any idea's will be greatly appreciated!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry I have no experience with this, it sounds too nasty for me, that's why I can't do raw feeding, I do however do some home cooking for my guys and am okay with that. I just don't like the look of raw meat, especially slimy organs, and can't see myself touching it. But for the shaping of the organ meat, you could try a cookie cutter, or a round lid or other round object.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When I give the boys organs, it's a very small amount. Probably an ounce a day spread out to 7 days. If they get too much, they get the runs too.

But if you'd like to dehydrate, cut the meat when they're half frozen. Much much easier without the gooey mess. Never added them into anything. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2 :D

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Let me see if I understand the situation correctly - you give them a little organ without grinding and they get runny poop, so you're going to grind the organ and see if that doesn't cause runny poop?

If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't think there's a difference between ground organ and not-ground organ as far as runny poop.

This is what I do for organs - I give Bullie approx 1.5lbs of meat a day. 1.2 ounces is liver, 1.2 ounces is other secreting organs (usually kidney). On some days, I give Bullie over a pound of beef hearts (organs considered muscle meat) and about 2.5 ounces of bone. Bullie's poop is fine with these ratios.

But, when we first offered Bullie beef hearts, her poop went soft. So, I increased the bone - I was giving her about half a pound of bone for a while there with the beef hearts to balance the poop out. But now, she is good to go with 10% bone on a beef hearts meal. I haven't tried giving the dogs more than approx. 1.2 ounces of liver and 1.2 ounces of kidney in a meal because when we started liver, I got 30 lbs of liver and 30 lbs of kidney that I chopped up (frozen) into 1.2 ounce pieces and I haven't had to buy more liver yet.

Hope this helps.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Let me see if I understand the situation correctly - you give them a little organ without grinding and they get runny poop, so you're going to grind the organ and see if that doesn't cause runny poop?

If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't think there's a difference between ground organ and not-ground organ as far as runny poop.

This is what I do for organs - I give Bullie approx 1.5lbs of meat a day. 1.2 ounces is liver, 1.2 ounces is other secreting organs (usually kidney). On some days, I give Bullie over a pound of beef hearts (organs considered muscle meat) and about 2.5 ounces of bone. Bullie's poop is fine with these ratios.

But, when we first offered Bullie beef hearts, her poop went soft. So, I increased the bone - I was giving her about half a pound of bone for a while there with the beef hearts to balance the poop out. But now, she is good to go with 10% bone on a beef hearts meal. I haven't tried giving the dogs more than approx. 1.2 ounces of liver and 1.2 ounces of kidney in a meal because when we started liver, I got 30 lbs of liver and 30 lbs of kidney that I chopped up (frozen) into 1.2 ounce pieces and I haven't had to buy more liver yet.

Hope this helps.

Lol, no I don't want to just grind them up and feed. I want to grind up all the organs I end up getting into one big slop basically, and then dehydrate it into some kind of cookie shape. I usually feed less then an ounce a day, and I still run into problems some how. I don't get it....But like I said when I was feeding her the organ treats from the store that were dehydrated she didn't have any issues. I figure I can use them as treats too, and still get her daily organ intake. My big quest here is trying to find a way to make them into a shape because its basically going to be liquid, and I can't just put it in the dehydrator. Some one has a great idea using lids, any others?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.