Yesterday's Food Shopping prices

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
One of the local meat shops in my town had a sales ad in the paper, so I went there to do all my shopping for the month. And here's what I ended up with:

60 lbs of beef hearts - 99 cents a pound (see notes below)
50 lbs of pork shoulder - 99 cents a pound
40 lbs of chicken leg quarters - 65 cents a pound (this was the thing that they had in the ad, it's usually 79 cents a pound).
10 lbs of wild-caught whiting - 2.99 a pound
3 lbs of beef liver - 1.39 a pound
3 lbs of beef kidney - 1.39 a pound

Then I got added discount at the register (from the sales ad) so that I ended up only paying $165 for the whole thing.

Notes:
1.) I can only get beef hearts for 99 cents a pound if I buy the entire 60lb case. Otherwise, it's $1.69 a pound on sale, $2.39 regularly.
2.) 8lbs of pork shoulder yields about 1lb bone and 7lb meat in my experience. Yes, I chopped up 8lbs worth of pork shoulder and weighed the bone. I'm a geek. The pork shoulder can be too big for my bulldogs, so I don't give it to them as a meal, I give it to them as a chew toy so they chew up the edges of it and after a while, I throw the rest away. Bullie and Angus have finished an entire pork shoulder bone apiece - but that was a rare occurrence. Usually they get tired of chewing on the stuff.
3.) For the wild-caught whiting, each fillet is wrapped in vacuum pack. The fish is caught in the Atlantic ocean, flash frozen, and shipped to China for packaging. As I stood there debating the merits of buying the 2.99 Chinese packaged whiting versus the 6.99 fresh unpackaged whiting, I decided, since the fish does not contain any other ingredients but the fish, the Chinese only contributed the plastic wrapping. Yes, the plastic wrapping could be contaminated but, as this is sold in an American FDA-controlled store selling people food, I figured the risk is worth the price.

And so I got the next 1.5 months worth of staples for my 3 dogs.

Last edited:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Wow that's great, I dont feed raw but wanted to say - nice shopping job!

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow that's great, I dont feed raw but wanted to say - nice shopping job!

By the way, this is all meat sold for people food, not dog food. So I can shop like this for the family as well. We're into paleo so we get different types of meat.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Do you grind your food? Or just give it to them? I am feeding raw already, but I've just been doing weekly shopping. But for $165 I think I, too, can buy in bulk and save some money! Great idea. I just have no idea what they have at a meat market since I usually only go there for a great steak or roast or something. I've sent my son to inquire about chicken, but he's not good at asking the questions I want answers to!

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you grind your food? Or just give it to them? I am feeding raw already, but I've just been doing weekly shopping. But for $165 I think I, too, can buy in bulk and save some money! Great idea. I just have no idea what they have at a meat market since I usually only go there for a great steak or roast or something. I've sent my son to inquire about chicken, but he's not good at asking the questions I want answers to!

No, I don't grind the food. But, I do cut it up in chunks so it fits inside this 4-cup rectangular containers from Walmart that holds one serving per dog. It makes it easy for other members of my family and the dog sitters to feed my dogs because all they have to do is take out one container per dog in the morning when they're let out and then plop the contents in each bowl in the afternoon. And I order the containers in the chest freezer so that one container sits on top of another container with a different type of meat so that we just pick the topmost container and they get a cycle of meat varieties.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I been curious what raw cost thanks for sharing

The cost all depends on how you do it. There are companies that provide raw meals for dogs. They grind it up and form it into patties. I, personally, buy meat in the regular grocery store and feed them that. It is recommended to try for aboup $1/pound, but I wind up spending more because it is expensive here in NY. I also supplement with whole grains and veggies sometimes, but mostly just meat. I think the cost is equivalent to top quality canned dog food.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online