Huge Bump in the Road

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
As you know I am relatively new to raw, I grind my own bone. It has been 6 weeks so far. The bump in the road is the husband. He says he's not seeing huge result's that I promised. He say's I spend way too much time and $$ preparing their meals. Plus I work 10 hour days starting a 5 am. Part of me thinks he's jealous. But I do spend many hours grinding and bagging the meals. I do have 5 bully's and do all this on my own power and time. He will not help this venture of mine.
He is also afraid that the bone will lay in their bellies in shards. Some of the poop is black tar like. I also think that they are going through a detox period where the ears are getting yeasty but there is no yeast in the diet. I'm seeing eye goop again too. and some scratching. Two of them are also getting alopecia. I don't understand why? I have just started last week introducing the beef to the diet along with chicken yet. Yesterday they had beef heart and liver. I purchased 3 beef hearts and a whole liver. I froze the liver in 4 bags and just let them each have about 1 cup of the liver and the rest of the meal was heart. They love their meals!!!
I knew it was time to add new protein. and I spent time lining up 3 different butchers for which I'm satisfied with the deals they are offering. I'm happy with that.

My husband is wearing me down, he gets very upset if he see's a smidgen of chicken on the floor or table while I'm grinding or they are eating. I clean everything up and disinfect , but still he complains. He does nothing but bitch about salmonella and says he's going to get sick from it. He's crazy. The house is spotless. He's a bleach freak and that alone makes me nervous. I don't know what to do anymore, is it worth it? He's making my life a living hell. I asked him to give me two more weeks, so I can get the other protein's into them and they can detox.
How long do you think it will take to detox? Any advise is much appreciated. This is a lot of work for me since he forbids me to just give them the damn chicken leg whole. Some days I feel so weak and want to just say fine, but the mom in me says to continue with food I know is safe. HELP !!!

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
You probably gave them too much liver, it makes their poop pretty tarry. I give mine a small chunk of it for the nutrients but 1 cup is definitely too much for my bullies. I'm sorry your hubby is not working with you Sherry, that has to be hard. Mine completely supports it as we have less vet issues than with kibble but it's easier for me as I just give them the food and they go to town on it, I don't grind anything. I hope if gets better for you.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks for the support, and the advise on the liver.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Sherry, only you can decide if this bump is worthwhile at all. I surely wouldnt want the riff to come down to 'Its the Bullies or Me' (or feeding the raw or me) It sounds like its very stressful at your house right now :(

Personally, I try to DE-Stress my home, because if I can't take care of myself, I can't take care of my bullies. I'm sure Raw has its advantages, but I do know the prepwork is defiantly a disadvantage. You need to ask yourself, is the XX Hours invested worth it? what am I gaining, Lossing by doing this?

I think from the tone of your post, you know your answers already. Good luck :) we're all thinking of you ! :) :)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Sorry, Sherry but I could never feed raw because I just don't have the stomach for it. And like you, I'd be completely on my own with no support from my husband. I do admire your commitment. Your dogs are lucky they have you!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I think if its causing that much rift, it is not worth it. Whether we are married or just partners, they should be number 1 and the dogs number 2, or in your case, 2,3,4,5 and 6! We all want what's best for our pups, but there are many other options out there for feeding them. I too could never stomach doing raw- it just makes no logical sense to me as much as it intrigues me. Whatever we decide to do, it should be a joint venture. You are a good mommy for giving it the try though!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry your having trouble Sherry and I know you want what's best for your bullies, but you need to be happy too.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jay hasn't fed them at all since I started raw. I'm in tears, n that's not good. Cause when I feel weak and in tears , my heart aches for my skin baby's . Maybe I'm just having a bad one. Going to crawl in my corner now. I'm being preached at again. Wednesday the three amigo's have there yearly check up, see what my vet says

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hug: Awww Sherry. Take a deep breath. Take your two weeks and use that time to sort it out. I can't advise you on the raw feeding..like Alice, I couldn't do it. I hardly eat meat myself..no way could I handle it. I admire anyone who does..but just not for me. I'm mostly sorry that you are sad and hurting. :(. Sometimes bumps in the road can be handled...by slowing down and proceeding with caution. I know how hard you work..outside your house. And to add this on top of it plus keeping a house up, must be exhausting. Exhaustion leads to frustration and nothing positive comes from it. Then it stresses all different areas of our lives. Including your health. Maybe..just maybe Jay sees things you don't. I'm not making excuses for him, mind you. Just wondering why he's so dug in. Being miserable and unhappy won't make for happy Bully's..:love: Love you girl!

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
It took Elly awhile to adjust to raw, and I started off with her at around 12 weeks. Are you trimming excess fat and removing the skin from the chicken? This ended up being the cause of her loose stools. As soon as I removed the fat and skin and started introducing it slowly, her stools firmed up and it was all smooth sailing.

Any reason your husband is so opposed to following a prey model raw approach? It would greatly reduce the time and make things a lot easier for you.

Also, the yeastiness could be a result of too much fruits/vegetables. I'd cut back (actually I'd eliminate them altogether but to each their own) and see if that helps at all.

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Sherry, I am so sorry your so frustraited. It hurts me to know your hurting. I have no advice on the raw feeding, I admire those that do and from what I have read all the work that goes in to it. There are just unfortunately situations in life that only you know how you feel, and if this is what you choose then go for it, just know you will be on your own. Trust me I know. Some things in our marriage is 100% me because I feel so strongly about it (my kids). I have came to accept that, and have no expectations or change from the other half.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It took Elly awhile to adjust to raw, and I started off with her at around 10 weeks. Are you trimming excess fat and removing the skin from the chicken? This ended up being the cause of her loose stools. As soon as I removed the fat and skin and started introducing it slowly, her stools firmed up and it was all smooth sailing.

Any reason your husband is so opposed to following a prey model raw approach? It would greatly reduce the time and make things a lot easier for you.

Also, the yeastiness could be a result of too much fruits/vegetables. I'd cut back (actually I'd eliminate them altogether but to each their own) and see if that helps at all.

the hubby doesn't like the idea of so many chicken legs. he doesn't trust them like I do. I handle them different than he does. that's another story, you have given me great advise on the skin, yes, they have been getting skin from the chicken, I will remove that and add slowly. as for veggies, they get one veggie cube a day with supper, I make them myself, from fresh green's , enzymes and probiotic's , flax seed oil and one apple all ground up and frozen in tray's

Sherry, I am so sorry your so frustraited. It hurts me to know your hurting. I have no advice on the raw feeding, I admire those that do and from what I have read all the work that goes in to it. There are just unfortunately situations in life that only you know how you feel, and if this is what you choose then go for it, just know you will be on your own. Trust me I know. Some things in our marriage is 100% me because I feel so strongly about it (my kids). I have came to accept that, and have no expectations or change from the other half.

Ahhhh yes that all too well thing that sometimes we have to do on our own. You make me feel like I'm def not alone. thank you so much for helping me to accept the things I can not change. :smoochwink:

Last edited:
OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:hug: Awww Sherry. Take a deep breath. Take your two weeks and use that time to sort it out. I can't advise you on the raw feeding..like Alice, I couldn't do it. I hardly eat meat myself..no way could I handle it. I admire anyone who does..but just not for me. I'm mostly sorry that you are sad and hurting. :(. Sometimes bumps in the road can be handled...by slowing down and proceeding with caution. I know how hard you work..outside your house. And to add this on top of it plus keeping a house up, must be exhausting. Exhaustion leads to frustration and nothing positive comes from it. Then it stresses all different areas of our lives. Including your health. Maybe..just maybe Jay sees things you don't. I'm not making excuses for him, mind you. Just wondering why he's so dug in. Being miserable and unhappy won't make for happy Bully's..:love: Love you girl!

You rock woman !!! he's dug in because he doesn't get involved , they are my baby's although he likes to be "in control" of things, I suppose I let him think that, I have exhaled now and feel much better. reading from you makes me feel better. I slowed down and can relax now, yes two weeks are in order for sure. I'm sure I can turn this thing around. I'm getting some good advise from raw feeders. Thank you for your support as always Becky :drawheart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Awww man Sherry, it's so rough when two are on separate sides of an issue. I could never raw feed either, it's just not for me, and I'm really sorry your hubby feels like this. It takes so much of your time no doubt there. I hope it's all able to work out for you, the hubby and the kiddos. :hug: :hug:

Most Reactions