Walmart:
Wild Caught Salmon - 3.95/lb in the frozen section
Ground Bison - 3.69/lb
Chicken Hearts and Gizzards - 99c/lb

Local Meat Specialty Store:
Beef Hearts - 99c/lb
Pork Shoulder - 99c/lb
Chicken Leg Quarter - 69c/lb

The beef hearts was actually 1.49/lb but I bought hearts last time at their competitor for $1/lb. I told them about it and they gave me the hearts for 99c/lb! So yeah, it never hurts to haggle.

And this at Walmart for $1.84/4pk:
1363321033_zpsd6782362.jpg

It's a storage container not a freezer container so I'm going to try it out to see if it will work for frozen dog food. It's the perfect size for 1 day/1 dog serving.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm impressed !!! I've been shopping for deals all week, but you got me beat this time. :2thumbs: Although I did buy a case of chicken drums @ $.79 lb 40 lbs in a case, and whole chicken breasts @ $1.29 lb if you buy a case. and ground beef, $2.28 lb if you bought more then 10 lb. got two of them . froze the chicken and will do the grinding today. First introduction of meat other then chicken will be tonight for dinner. What are your thoughts on Pork loin

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm impressed !!! I've been shopping for deals all week, but you got me beat this time. :2thumbs: Although I did buy a case of chicken drums @ $.79 lb 40 lbs in a case, and whole chicken breasts @ $1.29 lb if you buy a case. and ground beef, $2.28 lb if you bought more then 10 lb. got two of them . froze the chicken and will do the grinding today. First introduction of meat other then chicken will be tonight for dinner. What are your thoughts on Pork loin

Pork loin is great. It doesn't go on sale as far as I've noticed but they're not terribly expensive like beef. And pork loins are probably not as messy to grind as beef since pork is not as bloody. I did like you're doing - chicken, then beef, then pork. Then I went with organs before I added fish. Can your grinder handle pork necks? They're a good priced pork cut too to add variety to the bone content.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'll find out, pork loins were 1.98 today, I passed , I'm thinking of finding a partner in the area to buy whole animal and have them butchered. Wonder what goat goes for a pound, well, I'm going to grind 80 lbs of meat, will be back later. :2thumbs:

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I'll find out, pork loins were 1.98 today, I passed , I'm thinking of finding a partner in the area to buy whole animal and have them butchered. Wonder what goat goes for a pound, well, I'm going to grind 80 lbs of meat, will be back later. :2thumbs:

Wish you were close to me! (FL) The boys are going hog hunting on Spring Break. $125 to hunt one hog - no size limit. You don't catch anything, you don't have to pay the $125. The average hog caught is 250lbs. Around 150lbs dressed. Lots of times they catch 300lb ones. The folks at the lodge butcher it for you. Because of freezer space, the boys only get one hog so it's always a battle on who gets to hunt one and who gets to spectate. Would be cool if somebody would spring another $125 so they can hunt 2 hogs.

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Not bad. I personally try to stay under $2/pound for anything I buy, but I'll sometimes go over. My best score to date is 30 pounds of chicken quarters for $11.70 ($0.39/pound!).

Sherry, be careful with ground meat. It can contain lots of bacteria, salmonella and other nasties.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
5 days later and the el cheapo storage containers are still holding up. No cracks or anything and the meat is not freezer burnt at all. So, I went and bought more of them to have 60 4.5-cup size and 30 2-cup size (for Gizmo). This would be a month's worth of food which is pretty much all that my freezer can hold with just a little bit extra space for human food. I filled them all up and I put butcher freezer paper over the container before putting on the lid to hopefully slow down the freezer burn. I'll report back in a month.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.