Thread: Chicken backs too much bone?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mountain
    Likes (Received)

Default Chicken backs too much bone?

I found a place locally that sells bulk chicken backs for relatively cheap. I was wondering if they were okay to be a "staple" of my dogs raw diet or if they were considered too much bone? I'm still trying to learn what is enough bone and what is too much bone and which pieces of meat fall into those categories. Thanks.

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chicken backs too much bone?

Your bully's poops will teach you what is too much bone so not to worry. As a staple, I wouldn't do it every single day morning and evening since there's not much meat on them, just some fat hangings maybe. Or you can do that plus a slice of breast or a chunk of red meat.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't do chicken backs and necks exclusive, I will tag some more experienced raw feeders to give you some reasons.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

You need to get them! Just give more meat the next meal or add some with the backs. You need to remember variety if you are not still in the beginning stage.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mountain
    Likes (Received)

I honestly had never thought about adding boneless meat in with the backs thanks everyone! I figured it wasn't enough meat but I'm still trying to learn all the cuts and everything.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Chicken backs have 50+% bone. So, definitely too much as a staple. Here's an estimated guide to "gutted whole chicken with skin":
    Whole Chicken: 30%
    Backs, necks, and wings: 50%
    Legs with thighs: 35%
    Thighs alone: 20%
    Breast: 15%

I don't buy chicken parts, I buy whole fryer chicken at 99cents a pound then to bring the bone percentage down to 10% and keep costs low, I add beef hearts (considered muscle meat) which is only $1/lb if you buy a 30lb case at my local butcher. Other cheap cuts that are considered muscle meat is pork/beef tongue and chicken/turkey gizzards.

But, just a note: when you're just starting out, hearts/tongue/gizzards are quite rich and could cause runny poop so introduce it slowly and build up the amount over time.

So, this is an easy "guestimating" of a 10% bone ratio when using 5 lbs of whole chicken: Whole chicken is 30% bone, so a 5lb chicken would have 1.5lbs worth of bone. So, in making the meals, I would add 10lbs of boneless meat to the 5 lbs of chicken to bring the bone ratio down to 10% and divide up the 15lb meal into daily servings. If you're using chicken backs instead of whole chicken, then for every pound of chicken backs, I add 4 lbs of boneless meat.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by anatess; 02-25-2013 at 09:21 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I had to start with chicken backs to control cannon butt. We then reduced the amount eventually according to what worked with my bullies.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Remove Ads