Chicken backs too much bone?

drdadx2

Feb 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mountain
I found a place locally that sells bulk chicken backs for relatively cheap. I was wondering if they were okay to be a "staple" of my dogs raw diet or if they were considered too much bone? I'm still trying to learn what is enough bone and what is too much bone and which pieces of meat fall into those categories. Thanks.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Your bully's poops will teach you what is too much bone so not to worry. As a staple, I wouldn't do it every single day morning and evening since there's not much meat on them, just some fat hangings maybe. Or you can do that plus a slice of breast or a chunk of red meat.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I wouldn't do chicken backs and necks exclusive, I will tag some more experienced raw feeders to give you some reasons.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You need to get them! Just give more meat the next meal or add some with the backs. You need to remember variety if you are not still in the beginning stage.

OP
D

drdadx2

Feb 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mountain
I honestly had never thought about adding boneless meat in with the backs thanks everyone! I figured it wasn't enough meat but I'm still trying to learn all the cuts and everything.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Chicken backs have 50+% bone. So, definitely too much as a staple. Here's an estimated guide to "gutted whole chicken with skin":
Whole Chicken: 30%
Backs, necks, and wings: 50%
Legs with thighs: 35%
Thighs alone: 20%
Breast: 15%

I don't buy chicken parts, I buy whole fryer chicken at 99cents a pound then to bring the bone percentage down to 10% and keep costs low, I add beef hearts (considered muscle meat) which is only $1/lb if you buy a 30lb case at my local butcher. Other cheap cuts that are considered muscle meat is pork/beef tongue and chicken/turkey gizzards.

But, just a note: when you're just starting out, hearts/tongue/gizzards are quite rich and could cause runny poop so introduce it slowly and build up the amount over time.

So, this is an easy "guestimating" of a 10% bone ratio when using 5 lbs of whole chicken: Whole chicken is 30% bone, so a 5lb chicken would have 1.5lbs worth of bone. So, in making the meals, I would add 10lbs of boneless meat to the 5 lbs of chicken to bring the bone ratio down to 10% and divide up the 15lb meal into daily servings. If you're using chicken backs instead of whole chicken, then for every pound of chicken backs, I add 4 lbs of boneless meat.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I had to start with chicken backs to control cannon butt. We then reduced the amount eventually according to what worked with my bullies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.