Green tripe question

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I just bought a 5 lb coarse ground tube of it and defrosted it in the refrigerator so I can cut it up into portions. My question is... is it supposed to smell THAT BAD? I literally stuffed pieces of paper towel up my nose so I would stop gagging. It smells like :poo: I have given them tripe patties before and tripe cookies but this is beyond anything I've smelled before. I think Bob might roll in it before he eats it and even after washing my hands FIVE times , I still smell it. Do I throw it out or let them eat it? :eek:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Lol, yes green tripe stinks to high heaven. And yes, the dogs lap it up like its candy - or so says the co-op that we got green tripe from. I haven't fed mine tripe yet as we just started organs this week and I went with the heart and liver.

Also, according to the co-op, ground tripe is less smelly than the chunks but not by much but then you can keep it in its packaging, stick it in the freezer and when you're ready to feed, cut a portion through frozen tripe, packaging and all, then stick it in a ziplock to defrost then hold your breath, dump the thing in your dog's bowl minus the ziplock and packaging and by the time you need to take a breath, the dog already gobbled it all up...

...or so says the co-op. I've not tried this yet...

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It stinks, but most dogs and bullys just love it...so don't throw it out...

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I have found that the smellier stuff gets the more they like it! I always wear rubber gloves when handling tripe!

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone :) I let it thaw enough that I could break it into chunks and bag it... Then tossed it back in the freezer. Guess I'll grab a bag back out and defrost it. It's hard because hubby won't even touch it and he's usually the one to clean up doggy puke so now I'm in trouble!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yup, the smell is normal. If it doesn't, then its not green tripe! :) Remember, because its full of active probiotics, you need to keep it chilled. Once it goes to room temp, its pretty much normal meat. I usually defrost in the fridge in case I forget if left on the counter.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah, it never totally thawed and I always keep meat in the fridge to defrost. If it has probiotics in it , should I skip giving them the powdered probiotics I normally put in their food?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah, it never totally thawed and I always keep meat in the fridge to defrost. If it has probiotics in it , should I skip giving them the powdered probiotics I normally put in their food?

It's really up to you. I only give the powdered version if they're on some sort of strong antibiotics.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Belly is... She's had an ongoing UTI the last few months. That's when I decided we were going back to raw. She didnt have too many problems when we were on raw previously... It just got expensive the way I was doing it so I went to Fromm. Pet store lady said they needed probiotics to break down the raw food. Did I get suckered into another unnecessary expense lol!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Belly is... She's had an ongoing UTI the last few months. That's when I decided we were going back to raw. She didnt have too many problems when we were on raw previously... It just got expensive the way I was doing it so I went to Fromm. Pet store lady said they needed probiotics to break down the raw food. Did I get suckered into another unnecessary expense lol!

Yup, you did! lol. A balanced diet shouldn't require too many supplements. The only ones I give my guys regularly are the fish oil and powdered bovine colostrum.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Crap :(

they do get salmon oil or coconut oil and Saturday is fish day. I'll just toss it since its taking up cabinet space.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't worry, it's actually good for them, so it's not a total waste of money. Plus Belly has a uti, and extra probiotics should aid in faster healing.

Last edited:
OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Good to know! Thanks [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I hope it does since her pills are $80 each time.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
So, I finally got to the green tripe 2 weeks ago... and... I took out the tripe to thaw (10 lb package)... but I left it on the table next to the chest freezer in our outdoor patio and completely forgot about it and let the dogs out into the patio... All that was left of the tripe was a little bit of the plastic. All 3 dogs ate 10lbs of tripe in one go... complete with plastic packaging...

So yeah, my dogs have had green tripe but I still couldn't tell you how much it REALLY stinks once it's defrosted...

I had an interesting time picking out plastic packaging out of their poop. Interestingly, only Angus poop went watery. Bullie had soft-serve but not too bad poop. Gizmo (15lb Bichon) had firm poop but there was sooo much of it - it was bigger than Bullie's poop (60lb Bulldog). If I didn't see him poop it out I wouldn't have believed all that came from that tiny dog!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online