Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

  1. #1
    Newbie emmaandchubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    12
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbs
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    Hi!

    I'd like to add raw food into my Chubb's diet, but can't afford to go all raw, so I was wondering if it's possible/good/bad to feed a combination of raw foods with the kibble?

    Thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    Wrinkle Wiper PenelopeRosebud's Avatar
    Real Name
    tamara
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC
    Posts
    131
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    Hi @emmaandchubbs We are on a raw diet and I learned a couple things while researching the change from kibble to raw. Most importantly, raw food and kibble/cooked food will digest very differently and should not be combined in the same meal. Much like people, different foods will digest differently and if in poor combination, as is raw/kibble, can cause digestion problems, vomitting and gas. Penelope is extreme in her sensitive tummy, for example, if she eats her raw meal, and then finds cat food kibble and eats even a small amount, it can make her sick.

    I do not know how a bully tummy would respond to alternate kibble, raw meals, but both my vet and the food expert at our pet food store advised to switch completely at one time and not to ease in the new food as one would with a change to kibble.

    I am sure someone with more knowledge will come along soon for you. Good luck!

    Penelope & Dozer's Mama

  3. #3
    Newbie emmaandchubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    12
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbs
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    Thanks for the response! I, too, have heard various sources online say that feeding kibble + raw in the same meal was not a good idea. Yeah, I'm not sure how his tummy would adjust to kibble breakfast, raw dinner...

  4. #4
    Wrinkle Wiper ame16's Avatar
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    125
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    I wouldn't do it. If you absolutely insist on mixing, though, I'd allow at least 8 hours between meals.

  5. #5
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    I think the only way you can do this is if you use prepackaged raw. For example, Natures Logic and NaturesVariety make raw that is formulated to be a part of their line to switch it up. I give medallions on occasion on top of kibble but this is the prepacked stuff and more like a treat on top.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  6. #6
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    In mixing raw and kibble is most important not to mix bone with kibble. Raw meat and kibble is OK unless your deg has a sensitive stomach.

  7. #7
    Feed Store Operator
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    739
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    I mixed raw with kibble for awhile and had no issues. Alot of sources discourage mixing but I think it really depends on the dog. A dog that has a super sensitive stomach might have issue with it.

  8. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,169
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11506

    Default Re: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    Quote Originally Posted by ame16 View Post
    I wouldn't do it. If you absolutely insist on mixing, though, I'd allow at least 8 hours between meals.
    This is my understanding as well. Banks use to be on a raw diet made specifically for her and when I asked about mixing kibble -- the nutrionalist sated, not to give the two at the same time as the foods are digested differently. Now, how true it is I do not know, but my vet did agree with it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #9
    Feed Store Operator
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    739
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    I think the only way you can do this is if you use prepackaged raw. For example, Natures Logic and NaturesVariety make raw that is formulated to be a part of their line to switch it up. I give medallions on occasion on top of kibble but this is the prepacked stuff and more like a treat on top.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I used natures variety raw when I mixed with kibble.

  10. #10
    Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Posts
    1,491
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    Guys, I feel this is very important - yes kibble and raw do not digest at the same rate. But, so what right? Well, here's WHY you wouldn't want to do this to a dog like an English Bulldog who is already health-compromised (we all agree on this, right?).

    The reason why dogs can eat garbage and not get sick is because a dog has an acidic digestive flora and a short digestive tract. So, bacteria that enters the mouth would either not survive the digestive flora or, if they do survive, they get excreted before they can set up beachfront condominiums and have babies.

    Now, raw meat, as we all know, is susceptible to all kinds of bacteria. That's why we humans have to cook our meat before we eat it. A dog eating raw meat can get that bacteria passed through lickity split if it doesn't die in the acidic environment because a dog is super efficient in digesting raw meat proteins. But the risk of bacterial infection rises when kibble is in the dog's body. Kibble is processed differently by the dog's digestive system. First of all, a dog's body notices the different composition of kibble and produces what it feels is the right amount of enzymes to digest it. The composition of kibble causes the dog to digest the food slowly through the digestive system (not as efficiently). Now, when you add raw meat to this soup, all that bacteria that are hitchhiking on that meat gets to stay in the dog's body longer giving the bacteria an opportunity to take out a mortgage loan and spend Valentine's Day with the wife. And, not only that, the relatively high carbs and sugar content of the breaded kibble is perfect All-You-Can-Eat-Buffet for bacteria so they have everything they need to party. So, the dog gets sick.

    A lot of dogs get sick and then sends an anti-bacteria army of 300 warriors to defend their country so they come out just fine. Sometimes without getting any noticeable symptoms or even just a loose stool here and there. But, you know how we are so crazy about the health and well-being of our little cutie-pies that we do this stuff like agonizing over the vitamin content of their bowls or if we gave them enough salmon oil or if we needed apple cider vinegar, etc. etc... I just don't see a single justification for mixing raw and kibble good enough to put our babies at risk.

    Just my 2 centavos...

    I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

  11. #11
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    savemejeebus's Avatar
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    6,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    230
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Supplementing kibble with raw food?

    Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Guys, I feel this is very important - yes kibble and raw do not digest at the same rate. But, so what right? Well, here's WHY you wouldn't want to do this to a dog like an English Bulldog who is already health-compromised (we all agree on this, right?).

    The reason why dogs can eat garbage and not get sick is because a dog has an acidic digestive flora and a short digestive tract. So, bacteria that enters the mouth would either not survive the digestive flora or, if they do survive, they get excreted before they can set up beachfront condominiums and have babies.

    Now, raw meat, as we all know, is susceptible to all kinds of bacteria. That's why we humans have to cook our meat before we eat it. A dog eating raw meat can get that bacteria passed through lickity split if it doesn't die in the acidic environment because a dog is super efficient in digesting raw meat proteins. But the risk of bacterial infection rises when kibble is in the dog's body. Kibble is processed differently by the dog's digestive system. First of all, a dog's body notices the different composition of kibble and produces what it feels is the right amount of enzymes to digest it. The composition of kibble causes the dog to digest the food slowly through the digestive system (not as efficiently). Now, when you add raw meat to this soup, all that bacteria that are hitchhiking on that meat gets to stay in the dog's body longer giving the bacteria an opportunity to take out a mortgage loan and spend Valentine's Day with the wife. And, not only that, the relatively high carbs and sugar content of the breaded kibble is perfect All-You-Can-Eat-Buffet for bacteria so they have everything they need to party. So, the dog gets sick.

    A lot of dogs get sick and then sends an anti-bacteria army of 300 warriors to defend their country so they come out just fine. Sometimes without getting any noticeable symptoms or even just a loose stool here and there. But, you know how we are so crazy about the health and well-being of our little cutie-pies that we do this stuff like agonizing over the vitamin content of their bowls or if we gave them enough salmon oil or if we needed apple cider vinegar, etc. etc... I just don't see a single justification for mixing raw and kibble good enough to put our babies at risk.

    Just my 2 centavos...
    In a nutshell ... what she said! I've never mixed though, so don't have experience. But I've read and heard what anatess has mentioned.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •