Supplementing kibble with raw food?

emmaandchubbs

Feb 12, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs
Hi!

I'd like to add raw food into my Chubb's diet, but can't afford to go all raw, so I was wondering if it's possible/good/bad to feed a combination of raw foods with the kibble?

Thanks in advance!!

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
Hi [MENTION=8118]emmaandchubbs[/MENTION] We are on a raw diet and I learned a couple things while researching the change from kibble to raw. Most importantly, raw food and kibble/cooked food will digest very differently and should not be combined in the same meal. Much like people, different foods will digest differently and if in poor combination, as is raw/kibble, can cause digestion problems, vomitting and gas. Penelope is extreme in her sensitive tummy, for example, if she eats her raw meal, and then finds cat food kibble and eats even a small amount, it can make her sick.

I do not know how a bully tummy would respond to alternate kibble, raw meals, but both my vet and the food expert at our pet food store advised to switch completely at one time and not to ease in the new food as one would with a change to kibble.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will come along soon for you. Good luck!

OP
emmaandchubbs

emmaandchubbs

Feb 12, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs
Thanks for the response! I, too, have heard various sources online say that feeding kibble + raw in the same meal was not a good idea. Yeah, I'm not sure how his tummy would adjust to kibble breakfast, raw dinner...

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I wouldn't do it. If you absolutely insist on mixing, though, I'd allow at least 8 hours between meals.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think the only way you can do this is if you use prepackaged raw. For example, Natures Logic and NaturesVariety make raw that is formulated to be a part of their line to switch it up. I give medallions on occasion on top of kibble but this is the prepacked stuff and more like a treat on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In mixing raw and kibble is most important not to mix bone with kibble. Raw meat and kibble is OK unless your deg has a sensitive stomach.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I mixed raw with kibble for awhile and had no issues. Alot of sources discourage mixing but I think it really depends on the dog. A dog that has a super sensitive stomach might have issue with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I wouldn't do it. If you absolutely insist on mixing, though, I'd allow at least 8 hours between meals.

This is my understanding as well. Banks use to be on a raw diet made specifically for her and when I asked about mixing kibble -- the nutrionalist sated, not to give the two at the same time as the foods are digested differently. Now, how true it is I do not know, but my vet did agree with it. :blink:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I think the only way you can do this is if you use prepackaged raw. For example, Natures Logic and NaturesVariety make raw that is formulated to be a part of their line to switch it up. I give medallions on occasion on top of kibble but this is the prepacked stuff and more like a treat on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

I used natures variety raw when I mixed with kibble.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Guys, I feel this is very important - yes kibble and raw do not digest at the same rate. But, so what right? Well, here's WHY you wouldn't want to do this to a dog like an English Bulldog who is already health-compromised (we all agree on this, right?).

The reason why dogs can eat garbage and not get sick is because a dog has an acidic digestive flora and a short digestive tract. So, bacteria that enters the mouth would either not survive the digestive flora or, if they do survive, they get excreted before they can set up beachfront condominiums and have babies.

Now, raw meat, as we all know, is susceptible to all kinds of bacteria. That's why we humans have to cook our meat before we eat it. A dog eating raw meat can get that bacteria passed through lickity split if it doesn't die in the acidic environment because a dog is super efficient in digesting raw meat proteins. But the risk of bacterial infection rises when kibble is in the dog's body. Kibble is processed differently by the dog's digestive system. First of all, a dog's body notices the different composition of kibble and produces what it feels is the right amount of enzymes to digest it. The composition of kibble causes the dog to digest the food slowly through the digestive system (not as efficiently). Now, when you add raw meat to this soup, all that bacteria that are hitchhiking on that meat gets to stay in the dog's body longer giving the bacteria an opportunity to take out a mortgage loan and spend Valentine's Day with the wife. And, not only that, the relatively high carbs and sugar content of the breaded kibble is perfect All-You-Can-Eat-Buffet for bacteria so they have everything they need to party. So, the dog gets sick.

A lot of dogs get sick and then sends an anti-bacteria army of 300 warriors to defend their country so they come out just fine. Sometimes without getting any noticeable symptoms or even just a loose stool here and there. But, you know how we are so crazy about the health and well-being of our little cutie-pies that we do this stuff like agonizing over the vitamin content of their bowls or if we gave them enough salmon oil or if we needed apple cider vinegar, etc. etc... I just don't see a single justification for mixing raw and kibble good enough to put our babies at risk.

Just my 2 centavos...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Guys, I feel this is very important - yes kibble and raw do not digest at the same rate. But, so what right? Well, here's WHY you wouldn't want to do this to a dog like an English Bulldog who is already health-compromised (we all agree on this, right?).

The reason why dogs can eat garbage and not get sick is because a dog has an acidic digestive flora and a short digestive tract. So, bacteria that enters the mouth would either not survive the digestive flora or, if they do survive, they get excreted before they can set up beachfront condominiums and have babies.

Now, raw meat, as we all know, is susceptible to all kinds of bacteria. That's why we humans have to cook our meat before we eat it. A dog eating raw meat can get that bacteria passed through lickity split if it doesn't die in the acidic environment because a dog is super efficient in digesting raw meat proteins. But the risk of bacterial infection rises when kibble is in the dog's body. Kibble is processed differently by the dog's digestive system. First of all, a dog's body notices the different composition of kibble and produces what it feels is the right amount of enzymes to digest it. The composition of kibble causes the dog to digest the food slowly through the digestive system (not as efficiently). Now, when you add raw meat to this soup, all that bacteria that are hitchhiking on that meat gets to stay in the dog's body longer giving the bacteria an opportunity to take out a mortgage loan and spend Valentine's Day with the wife. And, not only that, the relatively high carbs and sugar content of the breaded kibble is perfect All-You-Can-Eat-Buffet for bacteria so they have everything they need to party. So, the dog gets sick.

A lot of dogs get sick and then sends an anti-bacteria army of 300 warriors to defend their country so they come out just fine. Sometimes without getting any noticeable symptoms or even just a loose stool here and there. But, you know how we are so crazy about the health and well-being of our little cutie-pies that we do this stuff like agonizing over the vitamin content of their bowls or if we gave them enough salmon oil or if we needed apple cider vinegar, etc. etc... I just don't see a single justification for mixing raw and kibble good enough to put our babies at risk.

Just my 2 centavos...

In a nutshell ... what she said! :2thumbs: I've never mixed though, so don't have experience. But I've read and heard what anatess has mentioned.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.