Iron/metal smelling breath?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So recently I've noticed duchess breath smells kinda iron like. Almost metal smelling. I haven't changed her diet or given her anything new. She is 10.5 months and been on raw since about 4 months. Any clue as to why this is? Is it something I need to worry about?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would think its blood- check her gums and pallet and look for anything suspicious, otherwise it could just be from chewing bones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
If you are feeding her Liver, that has a strong iron taste and she may be burping it up ... ?
.... just a thought...

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
She gets .5oz of liver & .5oz kidney Daily. I figured it's from the blood in the raw. I grind all her bones for her feedings.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I think it could be some kind of bleeding in the gums or teeth just because I have noticed this in my dogs as well and I do not feed raw - but have found a lacerated gum that I assumed was the culprit. I know it was a pungent odor though!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All of the above reasons are correct, metal or iron smell is usually caused by blood in the oral cavity, or from a tooth, or it can be caused by eating liver, and one other cause is if a dog licks it's anal glands. Check his mouth for any bleeding, cuts, lacerations, or any bleeding teeth, and if its not that, are you feeding him and liver?, or do you ever see him lick his anal glands?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.