The twenty Paws are going Raw

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] this is what is in the grind [FONT=Swis721 LtEx BT, A.C.M.E. Secret Agent][SIZE=+1]HVM:Beef , 7% Veggie/Fruit mix, 10% Beef Heart, Liver and Kidney, Organic whole eggs and Organic Apple cider Vinegar . Not sure if I will need to add more calci[SIZE=+1]um or not?? Going to save up for a better grinder down the road.[/SIZE]

[/SIZE][/FONT]

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION] wow, you's have it going on with the raw grind. It took me 4-1/2 hours today to grind and bag by myself. I had a great audience watch my every move. They really like it. Today being the first day, they were just fed the plain ground chicken leg. skin, bone and meat. I have the vitamins and enzymes and probiotics to add, but should I wait to add this?

I had read the instructions on the grinder and did much research before my start and knew about the thawed meat, still some of the drumstick tendent's were a pain getting tangled up in the coarse wheel I had chosen breast and necks were a breeze. do either of you know of feeding the necks? do you think I could mix them with the breast meat?

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] I bought 40 lbs of necks and ground about 1/4 of it... I got tired of taking the grinder apart every 4 necks. IF I had gotten a good grinder it would have been a breeze. I'm not positive about meat to bone ratio in necks. What I did get out of the grinder looked pretty meaty. I made it into patties and froze them. I'm picking up beef,tripe and turkey from a supplier tomorrow morning. Which grinder did you end up getting? I've been looking at Weston's..

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
STX Turbo Force , I got it off of a dealer on Ebay, he's running a $100 off deal and sold 40,000 so far, it's rated for 3.4 horsepower . the necks and breast was a breeze but those gosh darn drums, I did get through them though. Had to figure out the knack of it and wait till the complete drum was through

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] I use duck necks as duchess has a mild chicken allergy. But I grind them semi thawed, they pass through much easier with less jamming. A big part of my meal plan is hearts as it is a muscle not an organ like most think. So I'll use ground duck necks and ground heart. I can usually find heart for about .40 cents per lb depending on what animal it comes from and I just monitor the stool. I found feeding necks alone the stool was a bit crumbly but when starting off this is a bad thing as it will help avoid cannon but! I added hearts as needed. I started using probiotics and enzymes from day one as it will help them process the new food and keep loose stools down.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Sherry that is what I got! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012KJBR0/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1360973949&sr=8-1&pi=SL75 I have it on the coarsest plate but it still gets bogged down. Going to try just meat this weekend... Maybe a beef heart if I can find it. If that doesn't work its going in the land of misfit kitchen gadgets a.k.a basement.

:jawdrop: :haha: yep that's the one , it worked ok today, I did get through everything, a little frustrating through the drummy's
tomorrow's meal will include all the vitamins, enzymes and probiotics. thanks a bunch

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
@Sherry I bought 40 lbs of necks and ground about 1/4 of it... I got tired of taking the grinder apart every 4 necks. IF I had gotten a good grinder it would have been a breeze. I'm not positive about meat to bone ratio in necks. What I did get out of the grinder looked pretty meaty. I made it into patties and froze them. I'm picking up beef,tripe and turkey from a supplier tomorrow morning. Which grinder did you end up getting? I've been looking at Weston's..

There's actually no bone at all in chicken necks, it's just cartilage. Usko and even Voitto just give a few bites and swallow them with ease. You can't even count necks to have much calsium.

Last edited:
OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
There's actually no bone at all in chicken necks, it's just cartilage. Usko and even Voitto just give a few bites and swallow them with ease. You can't even cout necks to have much calsium.

thanks, I did not know that.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
everybody has their first raw poop under their belt and so far so good.

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
@Sherry I bought 40 lbs of necks and ground about 1/4 of it... I got tired of taking the grinder apart every 4 necks. IF I had gotten a good grinder it would have been a breeze. I'm not positive about meat to bone ratio in necks. What I did get out of the grinder looked pretty meaty. I made it into patties and froze them. I'm picking up beef,tripe and turkey from a supplier tomorrow morning. Which grinder did you end up getting? I've been looking at Weston's..

Skinless chicken necks are ~75% bone/cartilage. Skin-on necks are ~36%.

drdadx2

Feb 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mountain
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] could you post your meal plan sounds like something I might want to try

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Sherry could you post your meal plan sounds like something I might want to try

For the first three weeks I'm only feeding raw chicken as the protein. I ground up 40 lbs of neck, 40 lbs of whole leg, 40 lbs of skinless boneless breasts. Froze separately. I made a smoothie in a food processor, 1 bag frozen green beans, 1 cored apple with skin on, 1 handful of fresh parsley and a bit of water to make pour-able. I add Enzymes and Probiotics . You can do this either before you freeze the smoothie into cubes or at each meal. I feed one time a day because I'm working out of the home. At dinner time they'll each get 2% of their body weight. Jack is a 100 lb American bully , he gets 2 lb of raw chicken (1/2 lb. breast meat and 1-3/4 lb. of raw chicken leg) 2 smoothie ice cubes 1 dose of Enzymes and 1 dose of Probiotics. Flax seed oil and Regenex for joints. Next week I plan on adding more breast meat % and the ground necks continuing with the legs also, just more of a mixture of muscle.
As time goes on I will add different protein to their diet, but first things first and establishing the change to raw.

Jack is the heaviest and Scrimps is the lightest at 50 lbs. So I adjust the meal according to their weight. hope this helps.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] you have come a long way from snasauges and pupperonis! :lmao: This is very exciting! How's it going so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online