JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wow that's great Sherry, I had no idea you had been thinking about going raw. I'll be following this to see how your 20 paws do. What's your veg, oatmeal meatloaf? Do you give them that every night with their kibble? How do you make that?

I admire all those that go raw......just don't know if it would ever be for me.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That's just great! I'm sure they'll love it and you'll never go back. Keep us posted on your journey to the mysterious and dangerous world of raw feeding....:2thumbs:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
@applause at you, [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].

I love my pups -- but going raw? I just don't have it in me. I barely eat meat myself. I cannot think about where it actually REALLY comes from.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@applause at you, @Sherry.

I love my pups -- but going raw? I just don't have it in me. I barely eat meat myself. I cannot think about where it actually REALLY comes from.

I suppose it's not for everybody. You must be able to handle lots of meat. If you are vegetarian it's definitely not for you.
I don't eat a whole lot of meat, usually small portions. As long as I don't have to look the animal in the eye, I'm good to go.
I guess I look at it as the meat in kibble comes from animal too. what happens to that before it gets to me is my issue. But mostly, I get a kick out of serving the meals that I prepared . very Gratifying

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow that's great Sherry, I had no idea you had been thinking about going raw. I'll be following this to see how your 20 paws do. What's your veg, oatmeal meatloaf? Do you give them that every night with their kibble? How do you make that?

I admire all those that go raw......just don't know if it would ever be for me.

I'm going to pm you a video of the basics I'll be using

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
WTG! [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

I use to feed raw, they both did really well on a raw diet! at the time I only co-owned Molly so it was really difficult to transition her back and forth from raw to kibble, raw at home when with me and back to kibble when she was with her breeder/handler so I finally just went back to kibble for both of them. I do still give them some dehydrated raw by The Honest Kitchen and from time to time I cook for them and always add the dehydrated raw or home cooking to their kibble. Except I was never brave enough to do the raw all out, I fed the prepared raw patties, it was all prepared measured and ready to go in a nice little patty!

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I made my "hopefully" last pot of cooked home made for them. It's probably more work since it must be done every week. I only have to donate a half a day or so to prepare what I believe will be 60 days or so worth of meals. I will grind up the 40 lbs of skinless necks and keep that separate from the breasts and legs. That way I can adjust the amount of bone needed for each individually. I have a plan and it am flexible enough to change if needed :up:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I made my "hopefully" last pot of cooked home made for them. It's probably more work since it must be done every week. I only have to donate a half a day or so to prepare what I believe will be 60 days or so worth of meals. I will grind up the 40 lbs of skinless necks and keep that separate from the breasts and legs. That way I can adjust the amount of bone needed for each individually. I have a plan and it am flexible enough to change if needed :up:

It's awesome that you are so prepared ... would love to be able to know exactly how you do things and how you make adjustments to fit each individual dog, I would love to go back to feeding raw but am still too fearful of jumping in and prepared raw is so expensive so until I'm working again I just can't afford it :(

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Sherry how's the raw transition. Been going?

Tomorrow will be their first meal, The grinder came today and the chicken supply I took out of the freezer on Tuesday , isn't thawed out enough yet. 3 forty lb. bags. Will start grinding in the am and they'll be on their way to a healthier life, I'm counting on it. I'm going to post pictures of my poor Griz. he has his face all open.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Tomorrow will be their first meal, The grinder came today and the chicken supply I took out of the freezer on Tuesday , isn't thawed out enough yet. 3 forty lb. bags. Will start grinding in the am and they'll be on their way to a healthier life, I'm counting on it. I'm going to post pictures of my poor Griz. he has his face all open.

Thats great. I started feeding duchess raw at 4 months she is now 10.5 months and doing great. There was such a noticeable difference after just 2 weeks! I also grind all bones as we a couple chokIng instances early on. One thing I found is to not let the meat completely thaw as it will pass through the grinder easier. When the meat is completely thawed it gets super messy and has a harder time going through grinder!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Congrats [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] ! Today is the big day for you! I just started back up.I tried to grind my own but my grinder couldn't handle it like some of the reviews said it could. I joined a co op on the advice of [MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] and happened to get in at just the right time to place an order and pick everything up on Saturday. This grind doesn't have bone, but I'm going to add organic sea kelp calcium and they already get probiotics. It's a lot cheaper than premade patties, but not as cheap as if I could grind my own. Hope your babies do well on it and no :poo: butt!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION] glad you found a coop in your area! Bones can be tricky to grind. My grinder does a decent job but I could definately use a stronger grinder but the meat supplier I found actually will grind all. Bones for me at no charge! Egg shells are also a great source of calcium so I mix an egg shell in duchess' meal a few times a week.

Most Reactions