Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The twenty Paws are going Raw

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    I made my "hopefully" last pot of cooked home made for them. It's probably more work since it must be done every week. I only have to donate a half a day or so to prepare what I believe will be 60 days or so worth of meals. I will grind up the 40 lbs of skinless necks and keep that separate from the breasts and legs. That way I can adjust the amount of bone needed for each individually. I have a plan and it am flexible enough to change if needed
    It's awesome that you are so prepared ... would love to be able to know exactly how you do things and how you make adjustments to fit each individual dog, I would love to go back to feeding raw but am still too fearful of jumping in and prepared raw is so expensive so until I'm working again I just can't afford it
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

@Sherry how's the raw transition. Been going?

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    @Sherry how's the raw transition. Been going?

Tomorrow will be their first meal, The grinder came today and the chicken supply I took out of the freezer on Tuesday , isn't thawed out enough yet. 3 forty lb. bags. Will start grinding in the am and they'll be on their way to a healthier life, I'm counting on it. I'm going to post pictures of my poor Griz. he has his face all open.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    Tomorrow will be their first meal, The grinder came today and the chicken supply I took out of the freezer on Tuesday , isn't thawed out enough yet. 3 forty lb. bags. Will start grinding in the am and they'll be on their way to a healthier life, I'm counting on it. I'm going to post pictures of my poor Griz. he has his face all open.

Thats great. I started feeding duchess raw at 4 months she is now 10.5 months and doing great. There was such a noticeable difference after just 2 weeks! I also grind all bones as we a couple chokIng instances early on. One thing I found is to not let the meat completely thaw as it will pass through the grinder easier. When the meat is completely thawed it gets super messy and has a harder time going through grinder!

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

Congrats @Sherry ! Today is the big day for you! I just started back up.I tried to grind my own but my grinder couldn't handle it like some of the reviews said it could. I joined a co op on the advice of @Scueva and happened to get in at just the right time to place an order and pick everything up on Saturday. This grind doesn't have bone, but I'm going to add organic sea kelp calcium and they already get probiotics. It's a lot cheaper than premade patties, but not as cheap as if I could grind my own. Hope your babies do well on it and no butt!
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

@Angelgirl glad you found a coop in your area! Bones can be tricky to grind. My grinder does a decent job but I could definately use a stronger grinder but the meat supplier I found actually will grind all. Bones for me at no charge! Egg shells are also a great source of calcium so I mix an egg shell in duchess' meal a few times a week.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Scueva this is what is in the grind HVM:Beef , 7% Veggie/Fruit mix, 10% Beef Heart, Liver and Kidney, Organic whole eggs and Organic Apple cider Vinegar . Not sure if I will need to add more calcium or not?? Going to save up for a better grinder down the road.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Scueva and @Angelgirl wow, you's have it going on with the raw grind. It took me 4-1/2 hours today to grind and bag by myself. I had a great audience watch my every move. They really like it. Today being the first day, they were just fed the plain ground chicken leg. skin, bone and meat. I have the vitamins and enzymes and probiotics to add, but should I wait to add this?

I had read the instructions on the grinder and did much research before my start and knew about the thawed meat, still some of the drumstick tendent's were a pain getting tangled up in the coarse wheel I had chosen breast and necks were a breeze. do either of you know of feeding the necks? do you think I could mix them with the breast meat?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Sherry I bought 40 lbs of necks and ground about 1/4 of it... I got tired of taking the grinder apart every 4 necks. IF I had gotten a good grinder it would have been a breeze. I'm not positive about meat to bone ratio in necks. What I did get out of the grinder looked pretty meaty. I made it into patties and froze them. I'm picking up beef,tripe and turkey from a supplier tomorrow morning. Which grinder did you end up getting? I've been looking at Weston's..

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

STX Turbo Force , I got it off of a dealer on Ebay, he's running a $100 off deal and sold 40,000 so far, it's rated for 3.4 horsepower . the necks and breast was a breeze but those gosh darn drums, I did get through them though. Had to figure out the knack of it and wait till the complete drum was through

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

@Sherry I use duck necks as duchess has a mild chicken allergy. But I grind them semi thawed, they pass through much easier with less jamming. A big part of my meal plan is hearts as it is a muscle not an organ like most think. So I'll use ground duck necks and ground heart. I can usually find heart for about .40 cents per lb depending on what animal it comes from and I just monitor the stool. I found feeding necks alone the stool was a bit crumbly but when starting off this is a bad thing as it will help avoid cannon but! I added hearts as needed. I started using probiotics and enzymes from day one as it will help them process the new food and keep loose stools down.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Sherry that is what I got! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012K...sr=8-1&pi=SL75 I have it on the coarsest plate but it still gets bogged down. Going to try just meat this weekend... Maybe a beef heart if I can find it. If that doesn't work its going in the land of misfit kitchen gadgets a.k.a basement.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads