Trying Raw....some questions. :-)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
A dog's digestive system is much simpler than humans. Food gets processed relatively quickly. Kibbles sit in the gut a lot longer than raw food. So pretty much, you feed the dog a chicken leg, the waste is ready to come out the other end in a matter of a few hours. He eats something else and the poop could change right then. So, if your dog has small wastes (raw animal gets digested pretty good so only a little bit goes to waste) it could sit in the colon for a day or two before the dog feels the urge to poop it out. So, you can possibly have fed your dog something else before he poops - so, say you fed the dog bones in the AM, then fed him organs in the PM, then he poops the next morning - you can possibly see half the poop is white, the other half is dark.

So, in the case of the diarrhea - you can possibly get loose stool now and firm stool tomorrow... depending on how your dog is reacting to the food.

Anatess do you feed Bully and Angus raw?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Isn't the diarreah something that is expected when first starting Raw Feeding and then goes away once they adjust?

Sometimes, but it's usually due to common errors. I was feeding Stiggy too much and too little bone when he had loose poops.

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
The package doesn't say it's enhanced. It's from Costo. I thought it was backs but it's actually thighs.

As far as too much, I've weighed each feeding so that it's pretty much exactly 8 ounces. I made each meal part thigh and part chicken leg to make sure there was enough bone.

Is it possible that 8 ounces is too much? She's 16 months and 40 pounds.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Anatess do you feed Bully and Angus raw?

I switched them last week. But I grew up with raw fed dogs in the Philippines. It wasn't until I migrated to the US that I started feeding kibbles. Kibbles in the Philippines - even the regular Purina - is for "rich folks". So when I migrated to the US and saw that my paycheck can buy kibbles, I started using kibbles thinking it's "the best" as we have this crazy notion that what rich folks do is "the best".

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You know, sometimes my guys react to costco chicken so I rarely give them those.

You can also reduce the amount if you wish. Stiggy was 47 pounds and he started with 1lb. Don't worry if they still appear hungry, they always do anyways. lol.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Not fluid diarrhea, but very loose stools. The type that I wouldn't want to pick up. lol.

That is probably the reason. Try to find a chicken quarter including the back. The bone amount should be sufficient for her and they're usually less than a lb.

Last edited:

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Are you removing the skin and excess fat? I was experiencing the same thing with Elly and that ended up being the culprit.

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Yeah, I took off all the skin and fat. I just gave her the afternoon meal, lowered it down to 6 ounces, plus 1 Tbsp of pumpkin. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Most Reactions