Help with BARF Diet

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
So being a rookie bully owner I have come across this raw diet issue and am wanting to know more. I've read it's bad, I've read it's good, who do I trust?

Also what exactly is a good recipe? When should I start, Cammie is 22 weeks and Gunny is 11 weeks?
I feed them Wellness Core Puppy, should I stick with that or go raw?

hughesjo

Jun 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Hey there, I think RAW is great for your bullies. Are you wanting to switch for a particular reason e.g allergies or do you think it sounds a better diet for them?

I love RAW feeding and so does my bulldog Nelson who has been on raw fed since the age of 5 months and is doing well. The reason for my move from kibble was because he was allergic to everything and for me it was the only way to go to prevent him from a life on steroids. Raw feeding can sound complicated but its really not when you get into the routine of it, do your research obviously and read up her on the Raw feeding forum where you will get some great tips on how to start. The overall benefits of raw are general better overall heatlh resulting in less trips to the vets and longer life span, shiny coats, build immune system so helps against allergies and the dogs love it!! Better poops and less frequest and less smelly. If you are currently buying expensive kibble then you will probably find that you dont end up spending any more to move to RAW feeding, I can actually save money now as I was previously paying for a vet prescribed low grade kibble!!

Good luck, I dont think you have anything to lose by trying it! :excited:

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I think the hardest part of raw feeding for me is remembering to take the food out of the freezer in time to thaw in the fridge :) There are so many different opinions out there, some swear by whole prey model raw, others ground, some veggies and yogurt or cottage cheese other no dairy or veg. You have to go out on the internet and read ...a lot to decide what it best for you and your babies. I joined some raw feeding groups on yahoo and facebook. Ground works best for me as mine are gulpers and I have no desire to fish a chicken bone from Bob's throat. Other dogs do great with chewing. There are a ton of people on here that feed raw, start by doing a raw food search on the forum and reading both sides. I do know mine have the most beautiful soft coats on raw,no tear stains and the :poo: is very minimal. Good luck to you in your decision. Ultimately you have to make the best choice on your own for your dogs.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm a Prey-Model Raw feeder. It's super easy. No grinding, no cooking, and sometimes no chopping. Just put a chunk of carcass on the mat and let the dog do what they do - tear and crunch. If the chunk of meat can't fit in their throat, they can't gulp it so they have to tear and crunch. Sometimes they bite off more than they can chew and they do a do-over... that is, they regurge it back out and chomp on it some more. A dog can go on the prey-model diet right out of getting weaned from momma.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every kind of diet. It's up to you which advantage/disadvantage you can live with.

We're on Prey-Model Raw because it fits my principles of living. The humans in my house are holistic Paleolithic dieters as well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.