Nature's Variety Raw

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I really want to do raw feeding...I have for a while but I want to start off slow. Not sure if i should even try this first before going home made raw. I thought maybe trying Nature's Variety Raw would be a good start. Has anyone used this before?? I would be very interested to know peoples thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I used the NVI patties as a topper for my bulldogs' dry food and I didn't have any problems but, to feed the patties exclusively, is extremely expensive (even compared to feeding their kibble, which is also pricey), so I didn't pursue it beyond that.

If you end up using it, let us know how it works! What is your baby eating now?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I really want to do raw feeding...I have for a while but I want to start off slow. Not sure if i should even try this first before going home made raw. I thought maybe trying Nature's Variety Raw would be a good start. Has anyone used this before?? I would be very interested to know peoples thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

I started raw with natures variety. I started mixing with kibble Initially then did all natures variety & no kibble. I was spending between $80-$100 per week feeding strictly natures variety raw, so yes it is very expensive but it is a great product. I now do home prepared raw which is more entailed but very easy and my cost is now about $20-$30 per month! If price isn't an issue go with natures variety, it's very convenient and they have multiple proteins! Home prepared raw is a bit intimidating at first. But simple once u get rolling and it's alot cheaper! Let me know if you hav any other questions! I've had duchess on raw since she was 4 months, shes 10 months now and thriving on raw!

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Adam, We recently switched to Natures Variety Instincts Raw Boost. Not sure if this is what you're referring too or not. I hear a lot about this "raw" feeding but not too quite sure exactly what it is. As for the Natures Variety food line, we were referred by a friend that has two bullies, one which she has spent over $10,000 in vet care in effort to clear up some allergy issues. We adopted Bella from our local SPCA and like our friend's, she has a lot of health issues, including a severe yeast infection and oozing eyes (green discharge). Our friend swears by this food. She's educated us so much on this breed of dog based on her own experiences, what she was told by her vet, etc. Anyway, Bella has been on this food for about 3 weeks now and although we've seen a little improvement with her health, she's definitely not where we want her to be. We'll keep her on it until the bag is gone (23.5lb bag) ($60.00) and make a decision from there if we'll keep her on it or try something different.

Wayne

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I used the NVI patties as a topper for my bulldogs' dry food and I didn't have any problems but, to feed the patties exclusively, is extremely expensive (even compared to feeding their kibble, which is also pricey), so I didn't pursue it beyond that.

If you end up using it, let us know how it works! What is your baby eating now?

Winston is super picky...right now he is eating TOTW Bison/Venison with some wet food (wellness) and tripe. Its the only way he will eat. Lately he is barely eating 2 cups because he just doesn't like his food. He actually spits it out lol

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Winston is super picky...right now he is eating TOTW Bison/Venison with some wet food (wellness) and tripe. Its the only way he will eat. Lately he is barely eating 2 cups because he just doesn't like his food. He actually spits it out lol

OMG - naughty Winston! Have you ever tried putting a little warm water over it and mixing it around? It releases the aroma of the food and makes it more tempting for the dog. (Not that I have a picky eater - if I drop anything, it's gobbled within seconds - but I do use the warm water method to entice them.)

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
OMG - naughty Winston! Have you ever tried putting a little warm water over it and mixing it around? It releases the aroma of the food and makes it more tempting for the dog. (Not that I have a picky eater - if I drop anything, it's gobbled within seconds - but I do use the warm water method to entice them.)

I have tried that, it worked for a while. Winston snuffs anything and everything. The only thing he wont turn down is tripe! I have resorted to hand feeding him what may be left in his bowl to make sure he eats at least two cups. I know its bad to do that and I need to stop but he has to be hungry.

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
I started raw with natures variety. I started mixing with kibble Initially then did all natures variety & no kibble. I was spending between $80-$100 per week feeding strictly natures variety raw, so yes it is very expensive but it is a great product. I now do home prepared raw which is more entailed but very easy and my cost is now about $20-$30 per month! If price isn't an issue go with natures variety, it's very convenient and they have multiple proteins! Home prepared raw is a bit intimidating at first. But simple once u get rolling and it's alot cheaper! Let me know if you hav any other questions! I've had duchess on raw since she was 4 months, shes 10 months now and thriving on raw!

Can you elaborate on this homemade raw? Maybe you have and theres a link? Im curious as to the ingredients, preparation and storade. Thanks

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston is now eating 100% Natural Variety Instinct Raw - he loves it and today he ate his food without being hand fed!!! He has tried the venison and seems to really like the beef. I will be waiting a few weeks and switching to home made raw.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Winston is now eating 100% Natural Variety Instinct Raw - he loves it and today he ate his food without being hand fed!!! He has tried the venison and seems to really like the beef. I will be waiting a few weeks and switching to home made raw.

How are his stools? Firm?

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
we are feeding remi nature's variety instinct lamb LID. He can't stomach any other meat it seems like. We are going to compensate for the LID by feeding raw fruits/veggie on top of his kibble. Seems a bit more cost effective and also quite healthy.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Can you elaborate on this homemade raw? Maybe you have and theres a link? Im curious as to the ingredients, preparation and storade. Thanks

Here's my version of home-made raw... I started with putting an entire chicken quarter cut up from a whole chicken straight off the meat aisle of the local butcher's onto the dog bowl. Chomp, chomp, gulp. Done. The following day they got the wing and back, the next day they got the neck and breast. So, one entire raw chicken complete with skin and neck minus the innards was fed in the first 3 days to 2 dogs both of which are at 55lbs ideal weight... that's a lie actually - I fed 3 dogs, one a 15 lb yippity bichon. The next 3 days, the Bulldogs each got most of one whole chicken while the bichon got a chunk here and there. The whole chickens weigh an average of 3.5 lbs. And cost an average of $8 each because I used free-range organic chicken instead of just getting a regular chicken from the grocery (I'm not at the point yet where I scour the town for meat deals). I just did this over and over with the chicken. I'm in the middle of week 2 and everything is super!

I only noticed two changes so far - the poops are awesome (yeah, if you can call poop awesome... lol... I'm big on poopology), they are the perfect firmness - not too firm not too soft - and they smell like rich soil (which probably means it didn't smell anything that can overpower the smell of the soil it was on) and they have not pooped more than once a day, the regular size poop, with 2 days that they skipped a poop. Yeay. Easy on my pooper-picker-upper duties. I never did go through any "transition pains"... even with one of my bulldogs who was allergic to chicken in the kibble. Basically, they ate kibble one day, they ate raw chicken the next. And the other change is they have not tooted in a week and a half - or rather, I have not smelled their toot. I have 2 bulldogs who can clear out a room with their toot and they do this at least once a day, a lot of times in the middle of the night waking me up with the stink. Other than those, I have not noticed any changes with the dogs' physical indicators and energy levels... oh, except the bichon's hair around his mouth is turning peach colored - I still have to figure that one out.

So, so far so good. Next week, I'm reducing the chicken amount and adding boneless beef chunks.

And for treats - they get their favorite ice cubes and they still get the occasional butts of the slice bread which they've always had from before. I quit giving them the dental chews.

One good thing about changing the dogs over to this diet... I'm actually excited to feed the dogs everyday! I know - NOOB! But yeah, it is sooooo cool watching the dogs figure out how to tackle a big chunk of chicken leg and thigh bone. I easily imagine their brains whirring away trying to solve this puzzle. The bulldogs is not as fun as the bichon though because the bulldogs wipe out a pound of chicken in less than 5 minutes... a chicken breast in 30 seconds flat. My bichon is a prissy dog - doesn't want to get any of his hair to touch the meat, won't even hold the thing with his paws, so I have to hold the chicken while he tears off meat piece by piece until all that is left is the bone then he crunches and crunches and crunches... forever. It takes him at least 30 minutes to eat and yes, I sit with him for all that time holding a chunk of raw chicken in my gloved hands fighting the urge to tear off the chunk of meat myself!

I'm following what is called a Prey-Model Raw Diet (put that on a google search and you'll get a jillion info on it - good and bad) and because I just started with it, I tend to take every single opportunity to reply to threads telling people about it. LOL! So, bear with me for a bit longer...

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
we are feeding remi nature's variety instinct lamb LID. He can't stomach any other meat it seems like. We are going to compensate for the LID by feeding raw fruits/veggie on top of his kibble. Seems a bit more cost effective and also quite healthy.

Actually, this is healthy for humans but not as much for dogs. They don't have much of the proper enzymes to break down raw plants. It is better to cook or freeze veggies before giving it to the dogs to break down the complex carbs before it hits the dog's system.

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Here's my version of home-made raw... I started with putting an entire chicken quarter cut up from a whole chicken straight off the meat aisle of the local butcher's onto the dog bowl. Chomp, chomp, gulp. Done. The following day they got the wing and back, the next day they got the neck and breast. So, one entire raw chicken complete with skin and neck minus the innards was fed in the first 3 days to 2 dogs both of which are at 55lbs ideal weight... that's a lie actually - I fed 3 dogs, one a 15 lb yippity bichon. The next 3 days, the Bulldogs each got most of one whole chicken while the bichon got a chunk here and there. The whole chickens weigh an average of 3.5 lbs. And cost an average of $8 each because I used free-range organic chicken instead of just getting a regular chicken from the grocery (I'm not at the point yet where I scour the town for meat deals). I just did this over and over with the chicken. I'm in the middle of week 2 and everything is super!

I only noticed two changes so far - the poops are awesome (yeah, if you can call poop awesome... lol... I'm big on poopology), they are the perfect firmness - not too firm not too soft - and they smell like rich soil (which probably means it didn't smell anything that can overpower the smell of the soil it was on) and they have not pooped more than once a day, the regular size poop, with 2 days that they skipped a poop. Yeay. Easy on my pooper-picker-upper duties. I never did go through any "transition pains"... even with one of my bulldogs who was allergic to chicken in the kibble. Basically, they ate kibble one day, they ate raw chicken the next. And the other change is they have not tooted in a week and a half - or rather, I have not smelled their toot. I have 2 bulldogs who can clear out a room with their toot and they do this at least once a day, a lot of times in the middle of the night waking me up with the stink. Other than those, I have not noticed any changes with the dogs' physical indicators and energy levels... oh, except the bichon's hair around his mouth is turning peach colored - I still have to figure that one out.

So, so far so good. Next week, I'm reducing the chicken amount and adding boneless beef chunks.

And for treats - they get their favorite ice cubes and they still get the occasional butts of the slice bread which they've always had from before. I quit giving them the dental chews.

One good thing about changing the dogs over to this diet... I'm actually excited to feed the dogs everyday! I know - NOOB! But yeah, it is sooooo cool watching the dogs figure out how to tackle a big chunk of chicken leg and thigh bone. I easily imagine their brains whirring away trying to solve this puzzle. The bulldogs is not as fun as the bichon though because the bulldogs wipe out a pound of chicken in less than 5 minutes... a chicken breast in 30 seconds flat. My bichon is a prissy dog - doesn't want to get any of his hair to touch the meat, won't even hold the thing with his paws, so I have to hold the chicken while he tears off meat piece by piece until all that is left is the bone then he crunches and crunches and crunches... forever. It takes him at least 30 minutes to eat and yes, I sit with him for all that time holding a chunk of raw chicken in my gloved hands fighting the urge to tear off the chunk of meat myself!

I'm following what is called a Prey-Model Raw Diet (put that on a google search and you'll get a jillion info on it - good and bad) and because I just started with it, I tend to take every single opportunity to reply to threads telling people about it. LOL! So, bear with me for a bit longer...

Are you on the Yahoo/Facebook list? I have a sneaking suspicion you are. :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.