Is it ok to feed raw ground deer meat and Fromm?

ccw0419

Oct 1, 2011
Selmer,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy mae and mack
My two babies Daisy and Mack are having quite a few skin issues. I know it is their food and i am putting them on Fromm Beef Frita( I think thats how to spell it) as soon as its delivered. My husband hunts and we have a freezer full of ground deer meat and I just wanted to know if it would be ok to feed the deer in the morning and the kibble at night? Also I got some of the Grizzly Wild Salmon fish oil to try too. How much goes on their food? Will it help with shedding and itching?

Mack 3.jpgDaisy545180_326099080802677_1475701526_n.jpg

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I'm not sure, but I'd be interested to know as well. I have family and friends that hunt and give me maybe 10+ lbs of deer meet yearly. I usually end up making deer chili, a few steaks, or cut it into small pieces for a stew, etc. I'm sure Ellie would enjoy some of it if it's ok.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
It's not advisable to mix commercial kibble with raw food. Dogs process commercial food differently in their bodies than natural raw meat so everytime their digestive tract gets introduced from kibble to raw food (and vice versa) it is a shock to their system. Some dogs can handle this without issues. Some dogs can't. English Bulldogs with their food sensitivities usually can't.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
My two babies Daisy and Mack are having quite a few skin issues. I know it is their food and i am putting them on Fromm Beef Frita( I think thats how to spell it) as soon as its delivered. My husband hunts and we have a freezer full of ground deer meat and I just wanted to know if it would be ok to feed the deer in the morning and the kibble at night? Also I got some of the Grizzly Wild Salmon fish oil to try too. How much goes on their food? Will it help with shedding and itching?

MackView attachment 36133DaisyView attachment 36134

[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] do you feed raw? I am a raw feeding and have had my bulky on raw since she was 4 months old she is now 10 months. I have watched her thrive immensely on raw. As [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] stated it is not advisable to mix raw with kibble as the digest differently but in my opinion it depends on the individual dog. When I initially started raw I mixed raw with kibble every meal, duchess never had any issue. I then gave her kibble in morning and raw in evening, again I had no issue. I don't see a problem mixing the deer with the kibble. Have you eer considered going 100% raw? My cost for raw is lower then the cost of fromms and like I said duchess thrives on it.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Also the salmon oil can help with shedding & dry skin. I use 2 good pumps in the morning feeding for my 50lb girl. Also raw virgin coconut oils is good aswell. I alternate these daily.

OP
ccw0419

ccw0419

Oct 1, 2011
Selmer,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy mae and mack
I will admit I have thought about going raw and tried only 2 days. I gave them the leg quarters to start with and Mack ate fine, but Daisy acted like she didnt know what to do with it. I had to pull the meat off and basically hand feed her. She acted like she couldnt tear it off and refused to eat the bones. I was scared they wouldnt get enough to eat.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
@anatess do you feed raw? I am a raw feeding and have had my bulky on raw since she was 4 months old she is now 10 months. I have watched her thrive immensely on raw. As @anatess stated it is not advisable to mix raw with kibble as the digest differently but in my opinion it depends on the individual dog. When I initially started raw I mixed raw with kibble every meal, duchess never had any issue. I then gave her kibble in morning and raw in evening, again I had no issue. I don't see a problem mixing the deer with the kibble. Have you eer considered going 100% raw? My cost for raw is lower then the cost of fromms and like I said duchess thrives on it.

Not right now, I don't because of logistic issues. I grew up with raw fed dogs, though. And in my experience with kibble fed dogs (including my dogs today), feeding them scrap meat (you know, like when you get this whole chicken or turkey and you take out the neck and the giblets and give it to the dogs to snack on and cook the rest)... it almost always give the dogs digestive problems. I still toss raw cooking scraps to my dogs as a treat once in a while but only when they're eating only once a day when there is a long time between meals, otherwise, the snack messes up their system. But yes, there are dogs that can eat anything and it doesn't bother them. I had a German Shepherd that would eat the pig slop and the chicken feed and she didn't get sick from it. Drove my mom nuts though. But, that dog died when she was only 4 years old because she ate a toad. :(

Last edited:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I will admit I have thought about going raw and tried only 2 days. I gave them the leg quarters to start with and Mack ate fine, but Daisy acted like she didnt know what to do with it. I had to pull the meat off and basically hand feed her. She acted like she couldnt tear it off and refused to eat the bones. I was scared they wouldnt get enough to eat.

I was lucky enough to start at a young age so she took right to raw. I do however grind everything and it is in no way convenient but I had 2 choking incidents and refused to have a third. I tried teaching duchess to not inhale but I gave up and decide to grind everything. It might take awhile for the dog to get used to the new raw food. It beleive me they will not starve themselves. I actually just found a meat supplier that grinds the meat and bone for me so it saves alot of time. Raw would definatley be the way to get to the. Bottom of skin issues as you know exactly what you are feeding them. Kibble has so many ingredients that it might be hard to get to the bottom of the problem. I've actually had a neighbor that I urged to switch to raw to try to isolate the allergy once allergy was identified went back to a premium 6star food and had issues again. He went back to raw and like magic issues cleared up. He faught me on raw and thought it was horrible for his dog and he trusted that his vets prescription kibble was the way to go. AIn he end he thanked me. And never looked back to kibble again

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I was lucky enough to start at a young age so she took right to raw. I do however grind everything and it is in no way convenient but I had 2 choking incidents and refused to have a third. I tried teaching duchess to not inhale but I gave up and decide to grind everything. It might take awhile for the dog to get used to the new raw food. It beleive me they will not starve themselves. I actually just found a meat supplier that grinds the meat and bone for me so it saves alot of time. Raw would definatley be the way to get to the. Bottom of skin issues as you know exactly what you are feeding them. Kibble has so many ingredients that it might be hard to get to the bottom of the problem. I've actually had a neighbor that I urged to switch to raw to try to isolate the allergy once allergy was identified went back to a premium 6star food and had issues again. He went back to raw and like magic issues cleared up. He faught me on raw and thought it was horrible for his dog and he trusted that his vets prescription kibble was the way to go. AIn he end he thanked me. And never looked back to kibble again

OHHH! That's why you grind your food! I was wondering about that...

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I don't know about the raw side maybe [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] can help out there. The salmon oil amount is based on the weight of the dog and will having instructions on the back. Maybe @cowsmom can help more with the mixing questions

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
I feed Gracie some raw with kibble' but I make my own kibble....so far no problems.....in fact her "output" seems to be a little firmer.

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
As @anatess said, it's not advisable to mix raw and kibble together. They get digested at different rates, which can lead to GI issues.

@ccw0419, a healthy dog will not starve himself. He may not eat right away (or even for a few days), but I assure you he will eventually take to it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
there are alot of views on this and ive heard dont mix them as they digest differently and ive had many people tell me they mix their kibble with raw and they have no problems. ive also heard to leave 12 hours in between so an am of raw and pm of kibble should be ok. salmon oil is good for shedding and the coat i use 2 pumps and sarah is 47 pounds. however i would not be adding all these things all at once to your dogs diet. i would add one at a time and then see how things go. lots of bullies are allergic to salmon and such so be slow when adding things.

Sampson

Jan 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
When I was giving one of our dogs RAW And kibble she had extremely bad gas, it was not good lol. Our other dog gets a tiny amount of RAW and kibble now, as we are transitioning him to RAW. He has had no upset from it. And our mastiff was a slow and picky eater when she first started RAW. I had to take the meat off the bone AND hold the bone. Now she can eat the bone by herself and she is less unsure of how to manage the food. It gets easier. The mastiff gets bones but the English bulldog will have his bone ground up.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.